Web2Market Meta Tag Manager

Discussion area for and about AbleCommerce hosting and development providers. If you provide AbleCommerce services let our users know.
robreil
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Web2Market Meta Tag Manager

Post by robreil » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:47 pm

Hi George.

First of all I LOVE the Meta Tag Manger. Just its ability to dynamically manage product meta tags makes it well worth the price.

I figured I would post here for my problem so others could see the solution if they encountered it.

I am working heavily with the Cateogories, & webpages these days.

My situation is:
Even though the products portion works fine we need to get categories, and webpages to work both manually and dynamic.

So as I continue to develop using this product I will get it fine tuned.

So questions are:
  • 1) What do I have to do to get static MTM entries to post in order to override the dynamic store settings?

Example:
    Theme settings are:
    Title:
    [Name] @ [Store]

Description:
    Motorcycle Carburetor, [Catlist], [Name]

Keywords:
    Motorcycle Carburetor Restoration, Motorcycle Carburetor Parts
    I entered into the MTM in a category the following
    Page Title:
    Mikuni Carburetors and Parts

Meta Description:
    Mikuni Carburetors and Parts

Meta Keywords:
    Mikuni, Mikuni carburetors, Mikuni BS, BS, Mikuni BDS, BDS, Mikuni HSR, HSR, HSR42, HSR45, HSR48, Mikuni RS, RS, Mikuni TM, TM, Mikuni TM 38, TM 38, Mikuni TMX, TMX, Mikuni VM, VM,
    The source code <head> results in:
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <meta name="description" content="Motorcycle Carburetor, , category.cfm">
    <meta name="keywords" content="Motorcycle Carburetor Restoration, Motorcycle Carburetor Parts">
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/Carbs-Live.css">
    <meta name="description" content="Mikuni Carburetors and Parts">
    <meta name="keywords" content="Mikuni, Mikuni carburetors, Mikuni BS, BS, Mikuni BDS, BDS, Mikuni HSR, HSR, HSR42, HSR45, HSR48, Mikuni RS, RS, Mikuni TM, TM, Mikuni TM 38, TM 38, Mikuni TMX, TMX, Mikuni VM, VM,">
    <title>
    Mikuni Carburetors and Parts @ MotorcycleCarbs.com
    </title>
    </HEAD>
    Looking at this I notice double entries for Keywords, and Description.
    Will this work with bots as the sum of the entries or does the first or second entry over write or stop data from being parsed?
  • 2) Can I get the new help file and where do I put it in file structure?
I am sure I will have more questions after we get going but thats all for now.

gjaros
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by gjaros » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:39 pm

Rob,

It looks like you have not followed the instructions that were included with the Meta Tag Manager. You appear to have the section that outputs the meta tags in more than one place in your files. I suggest restoring your files to the defaults in the AC Templates directory, or at least removing all code related to the META Tag Manager, and making sure that no Meta Tags get displayed anywhere on your site.

Once you are sure that you have everything restored to the defaults, follow the instructions for installing the Meta Tag Manager into your store pages. If you are still having issues, contact us for information about purchasing support time.

I believe I have already sent you the latest copy of the Meta Tag Manager, but was having problems with your mail server rejecting emails with attachments. I also sent a copy of the Meta Tag Manager to Darrin's yahoo account and didn't get any errors about it bouncing. Please have Darrin check that account, or provide me with an alternative way to send you the latest files.

robreil
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by robreil » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:33 am

On the 13th I replied as to the help file:
I don’t accept zips. Rename it to something harmless like pdf or something and then let me know I need to change it.
Again. Rename the extension to something harmless and let me know what to rename it. It will get through that way.

We have pretty stiff requirements on emails as we get about a thousand spams/viruses etc daily if I open up the antispam.

I forwarded this to Darrin so he will look into the install Thursday upon his return.

Thanks again.

gjaros
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by gjaros » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:34 pm

I had tried changing the extension and got the same block message.

Shamby
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Post by Shamby » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:05 pm

I, Darrin have solved the issue with double meta data from w2m meta manager. I found that appheader.cfm in includes had a cfinclude of the w2m meta manager. I simply deleted that line of code from appheader.cfm and now only one descriptions and one keyword display. Thanks George.

gjaros
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by gjaros » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:58 pm

Great, I'm glad it's working for you now. I think you'll be very happy with the improvements to Search Engine listings that it provides. Our other clients using it are very happy.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions.