Getting settled into our new site.

Post your AbleCommerce store for review by other forums members.
>> Please review requests by fellow users to critique their sites, in the process you have the opportunity to learn how someone else is using AbleCommerce.
jasonhendee
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Getting settled into our new site.

Post by jasonhendee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:01 pm

http://www.cablesforless.com

I started with the out-of-the-box AC theme (since we've always had a "blue" presence), and just tweaked here and there it to make it our own. We launched on 5/12, and have implemented some mods since then. Here are a few of them:
  • - Moved volume discounts into each discounted line item, instead of having the application add a new line for the discount; display the savings in the minicart and basket item details (original/discounted price).
  • - Added a "My Shipping Account" shipping option, with courier, method, and account number fields, so that we can ship 3rd party on the customer's shipping account; upon saving the order, these account details are added as an order note. Also added validation rules here, to help prevent time wasted with bad shipping account numbers.
  • - Added a pop-up alert (ajax) which cautions the customer if they are adding to their cart more than we have in stock for a given item; also added warning text to each basket item exceeding our current inventory level, visible in the cart and one page checkout item details.
  • - Added a shipping method definition that changes when the shipping method selection is changed (one page checkout).
  • - Added an "Order Notes" text box on the checkout page (order-wide notes instead of using the shipping notes that are available out-of-the-box).
  • - Sorted shipping rates in the shipping estimator and one page checkout from low to high (price), while placing special shipping options (i.e. "My Shipping Account") at the bottom of the list.
  • - Padded the total weight of a shipment calculation (by 0.313 in our case) to account for the average weight of USPS First Class Mail packaging, to better qualify orders for First Class Mail.
  • - Changed the number of visible decimal places for a product's weight (within the admin panel) to 4 digits, so that our lighter products (i.e. 0.0040lbs) don't get accidentally overwritten with zero weight if someone goes in to change the product name, for example, and clicks save.
Anyhow, those are some of the main changes we've implemented so far. Thanks for looking!
Jason Hendee
Cables for Less

XavierW
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Re: Getting settled into our new site.

Post by XavierW » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:24 pm

The site looks really good and it was easy to navigate. Your prices look really good too especially for the Ultra line of cables. The one thing I would look into is the stars for the reviews. Is there a way to hide the stars if there are no reviews? I know I've seen other sites where only the products that have reviews show the star rating.
Xavier - What type of payroll software does everyone use?

jasonhendee

Re: Getting settled into our new site.

Post by jasonhendee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:15 pm

XavierW wrote:The one thing I would look into is the stars for the reviews. Is there a way to hide the stars if there are no reviews? I know I've seen other sites where only the products that have reviews show the star rating.
Not a bad idea, easy enough. Thanks for the feedback!
Jason Hendee
Cables for Less