Unique Shipping Situation

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
wilhud
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Unique Shipping Situation

Post by wilhud » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 pm

We have a sort of unique shipping situation that I'm trying to figure out if AbleCommerce can handle without any modifications. Currently installed is AbleCommerce 7.0.2 build 11659, so I'm not sure whether the newest version has added capabilities which may help with this or not. The situation is this...

Our merchandise is mostly kept in house. However, we do drop ship items from other vendors on occasion. I've setup the packing slips to tag an order whenever an item from another warehouse shows up on that order. We charge an additional flat fee for most drop ship items on top of our normal shipping fees because of the added cost of their shipping. This creates some different scenarios, however.

Scenario 1:
Customer purchases 2 items...
1 Drop Ship + Drop Ship Handling Fee
1 In House + In House Shipping Fees

Scenario 2:
Customer purchases 1 In House item...
1 In House + In House Shipping Fees

Scenario 3:
Customer purchases 1 Drop Ship item...
1 Drop Ship + Drop Ship Handling Fee

The system handles all of these scenarios fine. However, my issue now arises when we have a drop ship item that I CANNOT charge an additional fee on. It's fine when the customer orders in house items along with the drop ship...

Scenario 4:
1 In House Item + In House Shipping Fees
1 Drop Ship Item + No Drop Ship Fees

That still covers our shipping costs fine because the in house shipping fee is enough for all items. However, when they only order the drop ship item, no shipping is included...

Scenario 5:
1 Drop Ship Item + No Drop Ship Fees

If I switch it so that the Drop Ship Item has a standard in house shipping cost applied then that makes the drop ship only work fine...

Scenario 6:
1 Drop Ship Item + Drop Ship Fees

But then it over charges when a customer orders an in house item and a drop ship item...

Scenario 7:
1 Drop Ship Item + Drop Ship Fees
1 In House Item + In House Shipping Fees

Now you might say well just make it an in house item and the in house shipping will apply, which is true. However, then my Drop Ship tag does not apply on my packing slip and all items are combined onto one slip, so these items may not get separated out to be shipped from the outside warehouse. Too much room for manual error in that case.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this type of situation or whether the newest version has any additional shipping controls that may help? I really don't want to have to go in and modify shipping code. That sounds like a huge headache and lots of room for mistake.

Thanks,
Wil

igavemybest
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Re: Unique Shipping Situation

Post by igavemybest » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:11 pm

As great as the software is, it wont even let you have free shipping over a certian order amount if the items ship from more than one warehouse...so all I can say really is good luck. Certian simple simple things that arent addressed really tick me off.