PayPal problems (new error?)

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
dadkind
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

PayPal problems (new error?)

Post by dadkind » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Hello All,
We've been trying to get PayPal working. After going through many posts here, I thought our problems were due to a WebPermissions error. But I've captured the exception / error screen and I see a message that seems unexpected.

The error screen and error text appear below. Here is the process which led to this error screen.

I selected and item and proceeded to checkout.
I select PayPal (standard) as my payment option.
I am sent to the receipt page which has a PayPal link.
I click the link, go to the PayPal site, login and authorize the payment.
I am then redirected to my AC 7.0.2 site and I see the error screen attached.

Is this the error screen corresponding to a WebPermissions error?
Or, is this some other error?

I'd appreciate any info on this, as this is the last item that we have not been able to get working (minor tweaks and bug fixes aside).

I've never set up a site that uses Paypal before. Any help is appreciated!

-tomas

Error message text:
Server Error in '/' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
CommerceBuilder.Payments.Providers.PayPal.IpnProcessor.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +408
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +181
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

jpopowski1
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Re: More PayPal problems (new error?)

Post by jpopowski1 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:24 am

I have this same problem.
I did notice two forward slashes
(https://www.site.com//ProcessPayPal.ashx....)

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Thu May 14, 2009 7:15 am

I am not sure that is due to forward slashes, but give a try adjust URL then give another try.

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:25 am

Hello.

Has there been any update to this problem of returning to the store from PayPal? All of our PayPal Standard customers are greeted with an error upon their return to the store after making a payment with their PayPal account. I've tried it myself with a test account in our store and my wife's PayPal account. The error I saw upon returning to the store is shown below.
paypal_error-01.png
We have been trying to sort this out since June and have had no luck. I've read all of the posts on this forum about changing PayPal IPN settings and changing the PayPal Website Payment Preferences but none of these changes have worked.

Our AbleCommerce installation is v7.0 Build 10863.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
- Jeff
Wave Werks

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:26 am

Have a look at following bugs fixed for 7.0.
PayPal Bugs For 7.0.0 I think you should better upgrade to 7.0.0 final. Also do you have any customization on receipt page, there may be some custom script or also may be some error with some upgrade you applied on your store.

jpopowski1

Re: PayPal problems (new error?)

Post by jpopowski1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:26 am

I'm also getting this error.
If you look at the post back url, the last cgi variable is item_number=
with no value.

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:55 am

Okay.

I followed the instructions above and have upgraded to the final build of 7.0.0. Also, there is no customization on the receipt page other than some added plain text. Unfortunately doing the upgrade was not successful in eliminating the error. We're still receiving the same error that we received prior to the upgrade. I've tried changing the page that PayPal returns the user to on the website from within the PayPal preferences on their website. That did not help either. I also looked into the possibility that I have no item numbers or sku numbers associated with my products and I filled in a couple and tried it again. No luck. Then I decided to go through and remove any extra characters from the product names (ie -, :, () but this also did not help. I thought that maybe I was getting some sort of error from the HTML code being generated in the return address. Nope. Still no go. Essentially what I've found is that PayPal Website Payments Pro works just fine but whenever someone tries to make a standard PayPal payment the are greeted with an ugly error when they are automatically returned to the website.

Also, I tried to turn off the auto-return function so that customers would have to manually return to the site. The only thing this did was to stop the IPN function from working so that there was never any record of payment being displayed in the admin or on the customer's order page. This is definitely not a workaround that I can live with. So, I set it back to IPN on and now have my errors back again.

I've used many, many different commerce packages and this is the first time that I've ever seen any of them have a problem with a regular PayPal payment transaction. Most of them have problems with PayPal Website Payments Pro but do the regular PayPal stuff just fine. I am nearing the end of my rope with this one. It's been nearly a year of this problem and still no solution.

to add to this I'm being told that 7.0.2 and 7.0.3 have the same issues with standard PayPal payments and that 7.0.4 is supposed to finally fix the issue. That's just great. I'm looking at my somewhat modified website that my developer is quoting 25 hours to upgrade at $120 per hour. That's $3K that I can't afford to spend to fix a PayPal problem that should have been fixed a long time ago. All of these new features keep being released in new versions but the same old bug that is spelled out all over this forum is still causing problems for lots people every single day.

Can we please keep this going until a fix for the problem is found? Has anyone reported this as a bug? If not, how do I go about doing that so that it reaches the attention of someone who can finally get it fixed?

Thanks for listening. Time to go back to explaining to my customers that even though they saw an ugly error screen that we actually did receive their payment and that everything is going to be okay...
- Jeff
Wave Werks

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:58 am

jpopowski1 wrote:I'm also getting this error.
If you look at the post back url, the last cgi variable is item_number=
with no value.
I noticed this, too. I tried adding item numbers and even filled in all of the other fields on my product test page. No luck. Still getting the error.
- Jeff
Wave Werks

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 am

Just a wild guess from first post where tomas has two slashes in his URL. Is this is the case with you as well? If so give a try by removing one of them.

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:34 am

mazhar wrote:Just a wild guess from first post where tomas has two slashes in his URL. Is this is the case with you as well? If so give a try by removing one of them.
In Administration > Configure > Payments > Gateways > Edit Gateway I have copied the following ( https://www.wavewerks.com/ProcessPayPal.ashx )and pasted it directly into my settings in PayPal. See image below for verification.
PAYPAL_IPN.PNG
I have verified many times over that there are not two slashes. However, there are always two slashes when the error occurs after a successful standard PayPal payment. I've been given these same instructions several times before, both by this forum and by the developer but with no success whatsoever.
- Jeff
Wave Werks

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Okay... this is finally fixed. Thanks to compunerdy for the help!!!

Here's what you need to do:

Go to PayPal > Profile > Website Payment Preferences

Auto Return: Off

Return URL: leave blank

Payment Data Transfer: Off

Block Non-encrypted Website Payment: Off

PayPal Account Optional: On

Contact Telephone: this setting does not matter so you can decide for yourself

Support giropay and bank transfer payments: No

With these settings in place everything is absolutely perfect. People can checkout on the website, go to PayPal to make their Payment, and then either click to return to the site or continue on with other business.

Thanks again to compunerdy for the help. You've gotten me out of 8 months of complete and total aggravation and frustration. The relief of stress that I'm feeling will most certainly make my wife much, much happier. Especially since I can go and fix her site, too!

Happy Holidays!!!

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Hello again!

We're working on another Able website (http://www.myglamboutique.com) and we have another PayPal problem that is staring us in the face. Hopefully someone here can lend a helping hand.

Our Able build for this site is:
PLATFORM: ASP.NET
VERSION: 7.0
BUILD: 10863

What's happening is that we're able to complete an order and make payments with PayPal just fine. The problem is that PayPal is not reporting back to Able that the payment has been made. Or, Able is not receiving the IPN from PayPal. IPN on the PayPal account is enabled as required by both Able and PayPal. The PayPal settings are pictured below.
Website_PaymentPreferences-1.png
Website_PaymentPreferences-2.png
Website_PaymentPreferences-3.png
With these setting in place the Payment status of all order is never resolves to "Paid" but instead remains as "Authorization Pending".

Anyone here have any ideas to share?
- Jeff
Wave Werks