Free Shipping

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
chuckdvc
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Free Shipping

Post by chuckdvc » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:01 pm

We have 1 product that fits in the flat rate box and we price the product to include shipping. When a customer orders just this item we need it to show free shipping. If they order something else then shipping needs to be calculated on that item.

Is the only way to accomplish this is by setting the item to Non-Shippable?

I can be pretty dense sometimes and overlook the obvious. So feel free to show me how dense I am.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Free Shipping

Post by mazhar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:44 am

Give a try to following solution.
1)- Create another warehouse from Administration > Configure > Shipping > Warehouses you can name it something like Free Stuff Warehouse etc
2)- Now create a shipping method with 0 charges named Free Shipping
3)- Finally edit your product and change its warehouse to Free Stuff Warehouse.
4)- Place order for that product.

Robbie@FireFold
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by Robbie@FireFold » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:37 am

Mazhars method works, but can be a little confusing for customers. If they have a free shipping product and a non free shipping product they have to select two shipping methods instead of just one due to the multiple warehouses. I would be sure to go into detail in explaining this on the check out page.

Be very mindful of Google checkout - it does not listen to Able's rules. Currently if we have a free shipping option it offers it on any product.
Robbie Hodge
General Manager
Robbie@FireFold.com
http://www.FireFold.com

chuckdvc

Post by chuckdvc » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:34 am

What if I just set the shipping to "not shippable" I tried it and it seems to work ok. Maybe you know a downfall to that. I also tried setting the weight to 0 on them. Not sure all the ramifications for either of those ways.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:39 am

In this case application would not create shipment of that item. Also order contains only that item which is marked as none shippable system would not ask customer about shipping address.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:54 pm

Robbie@FireFold wrote:Be very mindful of Google checkout - it does not listen to Able's rules. Currently if we have a free shipping option it offers it on any product.
This sounds like bug 7570 that we addressed as best we could, and I believe this was made available in AC7.0.2. After the change Google Checkout will not be told about any shipping method that is not available for all items involved.

EDIT: Google Checkout is not capable of dealing with multiple shipments, so we have some obstacles with certain situations.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

kastnerd
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kastnerd » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:27 am

I found a work around for free shipping.

Set the item as shippable. and set it to zero weight.

Make a shipping method called "Free Shipping" and set it for variable by weight.
Set the min to "0" and set the max to "0.01"

Then any item that weights less then 0.01 can select this shipping method. And products with zero weight do not show UPS/Fedex

If you add a 2nd product UPS shows up but free shipping disappears.