Fedex and Integrated Carrier Questions

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
ZLA
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Fedex and Integrated Carrier Questions

Post by ZLA » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Is there a charge to register with Fedex to use their integrated shipping?
Also, is it possible to calculate shipping charges for just some items without actually creating those charges?

I'm trying to calculate a vendor's shipping charge which is not the same as the customer's shipping charge. The vendor uses Fedex for their shipping.

Thanks.

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Re: Fedex and Integrated Carrier Questions

Post by afm » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:12 pm

ZLA wrote:Is there a charge to register with Fedex to use their integrated shipping?
Also, is it possible to calculate shipping charges for just some items without actually creating those charges?

I'm trying to calculate a vendor's shipping charge which is not the same as the customer's shipping charge. The vendor uses Fedex for their shipping.

Thanks.
There is no charge to use FedEx's rating service.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, but I can say that asking FedEx for a quote does not schedule the package or commit you in any way to using their services. So you could get a quote from FedEx but then ship the package via bicycle carrier.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing

ZLA
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by ZLA » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:48 pm

[quote="afm"]I'm not sure I understand your second question[quote]

My situation is I want to calculate the actual shipping charge a drop ship vendor will charge for a customer's item(s) and then include that in the vendor notification email. The vendor uses Fedex. So I'm thinking if I integrate with Fedex, I could use it to calculate shipping even if I don't assign it to any pay methods for the store. But I have no idea if that's possible. I'd probably have to create shipments on the fly unless there's an estimator routine I could use.

Please let me know if you need further clarification. Thank you.

sohaib
Developer
Developer

Post by sohaib » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:23 am

You will have to directly access FedEx provider to get rates. You will have to create shipments on the fly send the request to FedEx provider to get the rates and then include those rates in the email to be sent to the vendor.

sohaib
Developer
Developer

Post by sohaib » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:33 am

The shipping provider methods take either a shipment object or BasketItem collection and calculates shipping rate for them.

You will probably do something like this

Code: Select all

CommerceBuilder.Shipping.Providers.FedEx.FedEx fedex = new CommerceBuilder.Shipping.Providers.FedEx.FedEx();

//Initialize the following as needed
Warehouse origin; // The warehouse from where the shipping will initiate
Address destination; // The destination of the shipment(s)
BasketItemCollection basketItems; //The items for which to calculate the shipment rate
string serviceCode; // The shipping method for which you want to get the rate

ShipRateQuote rateQuote = fedex.GetShipRateQuote(origin, destination, basketItems, serviceCode);

If you have a Shipment object instead of BasketItemCollection you can call the following

//origin and destination are already defined in a shipment object
ShipRateQuote rateQuote = fedex.GetShipRateQuote(shipment, serviceCode);
If you want to calculate shipment rates for all available services of FedEx you may calculate the rates in a loop.

ListItem[] services fedex.GetServiceListItems();
foreach(ListItem item in services)
{
   string serviceCode = item.Value;
   //calculate rate for this service code
}

ZLA
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by ZLA » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Thank you sohaib. Is it possible to create a shipment object programmatically without saving it to the database, purely to calculate shipping charges? Alternatively, could I copy / clone an orders existing shipments and then remove / delete some shipment items from the copy before calculating the shipping charges?