7.0.3 Sales tax calculations/display

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
WylieE
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

7.0.3 Sales tax calculations/display

Post by WylieE » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:18 pm

We've finally upgraded to 7.0.3 and are seeing some problems with sales tax results and how they're being displayed.

- Sales tax display is set as show summary tax details only. However, we're seeing sales tax being calculated per line item and displayed individually. I've attached a screen shot.

- It is my understanding the focus recently has been on accomodating international tax requirements and I completely respect that, but it looks like there may be some unintended side effects.

- We see this under Edit Items and on emails. The order summary page only shows the sales tax summary. It is easy enough to suppress the sales tax from showing up on customer emails so the customer isn't confused, but we'd still much prefer to see a single line for sales tax totals. That would make it much easier on our accounting staff and eliminate the need for them to run extra summaries on our sales reports.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, how have you resolved it?

Thanks,
Eric.
Eric Wylie
Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc.
http://www.warmoth.com

triplw
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: 7.0.3 Sales tax calculations/display

Post by triplw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:51 pm

I had problems after the upgrade until I realized that I was using some custom controls that did not get changed, specifically OnePageCheckout, Basket and MiniBasket.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:31 pm

I dont have it being displayed like that on E-mails.. Maybe you need to upgrade your templates.

The ONLY time I see tax displayed under each line item is when viewing the order via "edit order items"

My setting are

Taxes enabled = yes
shopping display = Do nto show taxes while shopping
Invice display = Show summary tax details only
tax column = unchecked

It shows like I would think it should with these settings.

WylieE
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by WylieE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:57 pm

compunerdy wrote:I dont have it being displayed like that on E-mails.. Maybe you need to upgrade your templates.

The ONLY time I see tax displayed under each line item is when viewing the order via "edit order items"

My setting are

Taxes enabled = yes
shopping display = Do nto show taxes while shopping
Invice display = Show summary tax details only
tax column = unchecked

It shows like I would think it should with these settings.
We have the same settings and it sounds like you're seeing the same thing. However, it is different than what we saw under 7.0, build 10863. Prior to upgrading, taxes appeared only once on the order and under Edit Order Items. See below.

Is this intentional? If so, I am concerned over potential rounding issues between the two calculation methodologies. (ie. calculating tax on each item and summing vs. summing the items and calculating taxes.)
Eric Wylie

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:03 pm

I guess it depends.. If the single page display is just all of the single lines added up then there wouldnt be a potential problem correct?

Maybe I am not understanding the problem.

WylieE
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by WylieE » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:23 am

compunerdy wrote:I guess it depends.. If the single page display is just all of the single lines added up then there wouldnt be a potential problem correct?

Maybe I am not understanding the problem.
My concern is rounding and significant digits. I've encountered other systems before that moved from sales tax strictly on subtotals to per line item calculations and the totals did not match. Are all financial calculations done strictly as money or are the calculations carrying out to six places (for example) and then being converted to money?

I'm just looking for confirmation that sales tax totals match before and after the 7.0.3 upgrade. Is this just the way sales tax will be calculated and appear in the future?
Eric Wylie

divers-supply
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by divers-supply » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:38 am

We are having this exact issue. The rounding is not the same! We had an order where it had multiple items on it, the total order amount was $39.90 and the tax rate is 7.25%. If you take 7.25% it would be 2.89275 which would round to 2.89 however, able calculated it at 2.90 becuase it did tax on each item instead of the order total.

My tax settings are:
Use COMMON METHOD for rounding

This is a problem as we use a different POS system which is calculating taxes correctly and able is not.

Si Burgess
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Post by Si Burgess » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:21 pm

I had problem in 7.0.3 with tax not displaying correctly and was causing my site to blow up when using adding a kit to the cart with more than one other component selected. A problem was found relating to tax and a patch was made, link is below to the bug.

The bug description mentions the fix to kits and cart issue but it also fixed my tax display issue. You *may* want to try applying the CommerceBuilder.AbleCommerceTax.DLL but would suggest on a test system first. I see the fix is going into 7.0.4.

http://bugs.ablecommerce.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8278

Just copy the new .dll to the /bin directory.

Hope that helps,
Si