Integrated UPS and USPS label printing in the next release?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Integrated UPS and USPS label printing in the next release?

Post by Will » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:17 pm

We're running AC 7.0 right now. Business has become good enough that it makes sense to automate printing UPS and USPS labels. Right now we're manually cutting and pasting from Able into UPS WorldShip. We are also going to add USPS service for our customers.

I'm aware of the Shipper/ShipRush/Endicia solution -- from everything I've read, it's a good system.

This is a question for the AbleCommerce staff -- are you planning to include UPS/USPS label printing direct from the AbleCommerce application in the next major release? If so, do you have a ballpark timeline? If it's somewhat imminent, we'll probably wait for it and upgrade.

Thanks,

- Will

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Integrated UPS and USPS label printing in the next release?

Post by mazhar » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 am

If you think that this is something we should support out of the box please post a poll in feature request forum.

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:50 pm

I'll definitely post a poll.

From your answer are you saying you're not sure yet?

I'm trying to plan our development expenditures -- would like to avoid investing in an external system and then 3 months later have 7.1 come out with it built in.

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Here's the previous thread I was reading that prompted my question.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5528&start=0&hilit=shipper

kastnerd
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by kastnerd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 pm

I think you should look at your other options. It might never happen.
Shipper/ShipRush/Endicia/StoneEdge

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 pm

kastnerd wrote:I think you should look at your other options. It might never happen.
Shipper/ShipRush/Endicia/StoneEdge
I can think there are 4 ways to add label printing to AbleCommerce (where label printing means printing some combination of UPS, FedEx, USPS, or USPS with postage):

1. Smart Cut and Paste

Description: ShipRush is pretty smart about watching the Windows clipboard. If you copy something into the clipboard that looks like an address, ShipRush will pop up and offer to print a label.

Shipping Workflow: Open a browser window, navigate to AC > Orders page, open an order, open the shipments page, highlight the address and press CTRL-C. ShipRush will pop-up and offer to print a label. Click on the type of label you want to print. When the confirmation window appears, highlight the tracking number and paste it into the AC shipment page.

2. Direct Database Connection

Description: ShipRush can connect to your database directly via ADO.NET. You need direct access to your database (which is not allowed if you want to meet PCI requirements), and you have to write the SQL to read the shipping address and write the tracking number, and it is not supported by Z-Firm.

Shipping Workflow: Decide which kind of labels you want to print (UPS, FedEx, etc) and open the corresponding ShipRush. ShipRush will prompt you for the reference number (which you defined when you wrote the SQL), then retrieve the address, print the label, and write the tracking number.

3. Shipper

Description: Shipper runs on top of ShipRush and knows how to talk to both your website and ShipRush. Shipper can also print packing slips, invoices, and custom reports; send confirmation emails, and custom emails; and analyze your data.

Shipping Workflow: Open Shipper and download new orders. Then click on an unshipped package and print the label (behind the scenes, Shipper will command ShipRush to generate and print the label). Then click on upload to send the tracking information to your web site.

4. StoneEdge Order Manager

Description: I don't know much about StoneEdge, but I do know it is an order manager to process payments and manage inventory. I believe it can also print shipping labels.

Shipping Workflow: (My guess) Open StoneEdge Order Manager and download new orders. Then open an order and click on a button to print the label. Then click on upload to send the tracking information to your web site.

=====
Note that I did not put Shipper at the top because it is not a complete order manager. Shipper cannot process payments or manage inventory. If you need those features in an external system and prefer a single, unified solution, then Shipper is not the right tool.

On the other hand, if you need the best possible shipping tool with no compromises, then Shipper is the right solution.

Have you looked at Shipper and thought, "if it just had X, then it would be a no brainer!" Well then, please suggest it at http://shipper3.uservoice.com. The majority of all new development time is spent on the high ranking features at http://shipper3.uservoice.com. You can help design Shipper to be even better...and a true win-win situation.
Last edited by afm on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:35 pm

Said it before but I will say it again... Shipper rocks!! 8)

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks for all your input. This is a great forum.

One question for Andy -- we're still on the final beta version of Able Commerce (build 8839) -- mostly because it's working great and we haven't had budget for the upgrade yet. Do you anticipate compatibility issues? I realize since we're still running a beta, all bets are off, but just wondering if we MUST do the upgrade or if it's worth trying without.

Thanks again. You guys are great.

- Will

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Will wrote:Do you anticipate compatibility issues? I realize since we're still running a beta, all bets are off, but just wondering if we MUST do the upgrade or if it's worth trying without.
Definitely try without upgrading. I suspect Shipping Agent for 7.0.0 will work just fine.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing