Modify or replace the Packing Slip?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Modify or replace the Packing Slip?

Post by NC Software » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:58 pm

I have to say, the out of the box packing slip is pretty much unusable. The layout, styling, it's just not the corporate image I'm going to put in my shipments. So is there a documentation reference, Wiki article, anything on creating our own packing slips or modifying the default one? It would also be nice if there was a way to tell the browser NOT to print the header/footer information so we can actually print and stuff the packing slip without having to cut off the header/footer.

Also, I noticed I can't create a packing slip AFTER the shipment is shipped. This is unfortunate as there are reasons to print one after the fact, i.e. someone marks an item as shipped once they get the tracking information and THEN actually fulfills/packs the order. I see no reason to ever prevent someone from generating a packing slip on a shipment, shipped or not.

It would be nice, and hopefully it does exist, to have a template somewhere that the packing slip can be modified and branded to the merchant's company.

Thank you.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Re: Modify or replace the Packing Slip?

Post by jmestep » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:35 pm

I customized one and it took several hours trying to tweak everything to have it print out right with the stylesheet and different people having different browser font sizes. There a two of them also, with different formatting. One you print from the order, the other one you print from order shipments view.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:04 pm

I realize it is overkill for this, but Shipper comes with a built-in WYSIWYG (does anyone use that acronym anymore?) report designer which you can use to create very fancy packing slips. And you can print them before or after the tracking number is assigned.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing

William M
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by William M » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 am

Andy, why haven't you been gobbled up by IBM yet? There's a corner office with your name on the door somewhere out there.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:08 am

Thanks Judy, I'm not sure where to even look to begin the mod, will have to review the process.

Thanks Andy, and hope your shipper product is doing well, however, my goal is to help identify problems and find solutions that will benefit the AC 7 users out of the box without having to spend hundreds on an add-on. AC 7 is a great product that shouldn't require any add-ons, with proper attention to detail and things done right these types of things should suit the general users out of the box.

The packing slip system as it stands now is simply a "we have one, square filled, moving on" rather then a packing slip that is actually usable. Far too much of AC 7 is like this I'm finding and quite disappointingly, not up to par and we are over a year after production release. Very unfortunate. Using AC 7 is far more effort than it should be at this point in time. I hope to see improvement over the next year.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.