Roles/Permissions System (Admin Access)

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Roles/Permissions System (Admin Access)

Post by NC Software » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:09 pm

I reviewed the description on the Wiki (http://wiki.ablecommerce.com/index.php/ ... planations) after searching on "roles" to find the description of what the various roles do. It's not in the documentation sadly. In my opinion, you really need to solicit the customers on how these roles work for them, are they effective, what can be done better. As I see it, I can't use any of them! To be blunt, they are useless. I want my staff to have access to the Users area to find people, reset passwords, find their orders, find their digital goods (serial keys), etc. Basic customer service stuff. I don't want them doing reports on the success of the business, asking for a pay raise (or go finding another job!), etc. I don't want them changing the site or any configuration. Maybe you need a role "CSR" or something.

I know we discussed this before but I think a more granular system to create a role and then select pages that role can access may be an option. I don't know. But as it stands now, your roles system does NOT work for my company. I don't know how much questioning you did of your user base vice making all these decisions internally, but this system really falls short. I'm interested to hear from others that use these roles within their business, if you even know of their existence. :)
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

kastnerd
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Re: Roles/Permissions System (Admin Access)

Post by kastnerd » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:48 am

I agree documentation is limited in this area.

TTMedia
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by TTMedia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 am

here here.. I agree.. the permissions are limited.. Maybe come out with an ability where you have more power over manual permissions, where you can pick and choose various areas a user has rights to, and an additional toggle if it is read only or they can edit. This way, you can go down a checklist of all the areas in administration and make any custom permission groups.

gdelorey@mitcs.com
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by gdelorey@mitcs.com » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm

I agree. Is there no way to allow for a user to have 'User Admin' rights to help with user accounts, etc? In AC 5.5, we could have the sales clerks have Order and User admin rights only, but I don't see a way of setting up the account to allow them to access user accounts in AC 7.0.3.

: Greg

mkent
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by mkent » Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 am

Where is the answer to this ????

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Tue May 18, 2010 10:09 am

Helpful thread about custom security.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10045