Possible hack attempt - advice to determine when it happened

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
ksolito
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Possible hack attempt - advice to determine when it happened

Post by ksolito » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 am

Just got a call from the store owner. Two empty product categories were somehow added to the store. There's nothing unusual in the audit log except that one employee who is off today was recorded as having logged on early this AM. We haven't been able to determine if he added the categories or not.

Are there any timestamps or anything recorded in the database as to when these categories were created? We'd like to determine if this happened while anybody was logged in or at some other time. The bogus categorys were already deleted but I'd like to be able to jump on this if it happens again.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Possible hack attempt - advice to determine when it happened

Post by mazhar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:12 am

You can try to execute following query to see when last update occurred on category table

Code: Select all

SELECT OBJECT_NAME(OBJECT_ID) AS TableName,*
FROM sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats
WHERE database_id = DB_ID('databasename here')
AND OBJECT_ID = OBJECT_ID('ac_Categories')
Replace databasename here with your actual database name. In result check value in last_user_update column

ksolito

Re: Possible hack attempt - advice to determine when it happened

Post by ksolito » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Mazhar,

Thank you. I will bookmark this for future reference. I just go called by the store owner and it turns out is was operator error by his staff.

Your query is still a useful diagnostic.