Handling of Backorders

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
wilhud
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Handling of Backorders

Post by wilhud » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Does the newest version of AbleCommerce handle backorders better than 7.0.2?

My main issue with the way the backorders work in this version is that they do not account for items that are currently on order (what I call allocated items). Without keeping track of allocated items, most In Stock/Backordered messages you give will be invalid because some of that "In Stock" merchandise is already assigned to an order.

Our company relies heavily on backordered merchandise, so this is not good for our store and workflow. I've modified the system so that the backend understands allocated but I think it will be difficult to tie the front end in so that it uses this type of info to determine the availability of merchandise.

Currently, I've built a view which calculates all of the InStock, Allocated and Backordered quantities for each SKU in the system. I use that View to update my shipment statuses. Now I just need to find a way to tie that view's results in with the front end of the site and with the customer service order entry in the backend. However, that seems like a big hurdle.

I doubt there is an easy way to add the allocated and correct backorder values into the InventoryManager class but if anyone know of a way, I'd love to know how. That would resolve my one major issue with the current workflow of our store. I am curious though if 7.0.3 has changed the way backordered items are managed or if it uses the same method. If an upgrade would resolve it then at least I'll know that we can easily resolve this after the Holiday season.

Thanks,
Wil

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Handling of Backorders

Post by mazhar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:40 am

There are certain improvements in latest version of AbleCommerce better make a demo install and run your cases on this demo install to test them.

AnySupport
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Re: Handling of Backorders

Post by AnySupport » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:44 am

Sorry to be posting on an old message, but we're looking at implementing Gold, but requiring heavy customization for many of our core business practices. We also rely on backorders and this allocation management is something we're still struggling to figure out the best approach for.

Were you able to implement what you described or something close to it originally?
If you upgraded to Gold, were you able to bring it forward in the same way or did it become more complicated?

Any insights or directions to consider would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!