7.0.4 errors?? Or is it me?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
igavemybest
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

7.0.4 errors?? Or is it me?

Post by igavemybest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:03 am

I found this in my error log. Below that is the data from the .log file. Does this file exist (ProcessPayPal.ashx) or is it a virtual creation? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
12/16/2009 5:51:50 AM Error An error has occured at https://www.(removed for google).com/ProcessPayPal.ashx Object reference not set to an instance of an object

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CommerceBuilder.Payments.Providers.PayPal.IpnProcessor.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
ERROR 2009-12-16 04:51:28,949 5161297ms Object a - An error has occured at https://www.(removed for google).com/ProcessPayPal.ashx
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CommerceBuilder.Payments.Providers.PayPal.IpnProcessor.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
ERROR 2009-12-16 04:51:50,237 5182585ms Object a - An error has occured at https://www.(removed for google).com/ProcessPayPal.ashx

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Re: 7.0.4 errors?? Or is it me?

Post by jmestep » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:08 am

It's a virtual file. It will be interesting to find out why you got that error. Someone is getting that on a 7.0.0 site and we have never been able to figure out what is causing it. What is in your url when you are sent to that page? We've wondered if it was a url being truncated.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

igavemybest
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by igavemybest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 am

I really dont know to be honest, I am guessing after the upgrade someone was visiting the store and went somewhere that cause it. I just happened to see it. One thing I did notice was previous to that a user cleanup was taking place in the database, probably unrelated, but just in case I thought I would put it out there.

speedythinker
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by speedythinker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:50 pm

I got this error as well. But it happended to the error log as I have no idea how I would get it.
See the log:

Code: Select all

"An error has occured at  http://www.lightobject.com/ProcessPayPal.ashx  Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
If I click on this link, then the error will be recorded to the error log. Any idea how to fix it?

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 pm

The original error and the error you get when you click on the URL both have the same root cause: ProcessPayPal.ashx is not designed to be used like that.

ProcessPayPal.ashx is not a page like default.aspx or aboutus.aspx. It does not even have a file on the server. ProcessPayPal.ashx is all code and it is written specifically to handle Instant Payment Notifications (IPN's) from PayPal. IPN's are formatted as HTML forms POSTed by PayPal to your site.

When you click on the URL, your browser uses GET instead of POST and does not include any form data. That does not look like an IPN at all, so the code in ProcessPayPal.ashx throws an error.

The bottom line: the error is caused by invalid (non-IPN) requests to ProcessPayPal.ashx. To fix the error, you have to stop the invalid requests.

If you are making the invalid requests (by clicking on the URL for example), then you can stop them by not clicking on the URL.

If other people are making the invalid requests, perhaps as a hacking attempt, then you can try filtering out requests that do not come from PayPal servers.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing

speedythinker
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by speedythinker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Thank you for the reply. I understand that I shouldn't click the link by default. I did that because I wanted to see what page it would brning me to. I found 10 of that error request being logged in the system by someone who was keep doing it within an hr. Now you brough up a good point: it could be a hacker and I will do some analysis to block the IP where the request was made from

Thank you
Speedy

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 pm

If the IP turns out to be PayPal, then it is probably PayPal trying very hard to let you know about a payment. If you have your PayPal account set up to send IPN's to your site when a payment is received, then it will do that for every payment you receive, even if the payment is not associated with your store.

If ProcessPayPal.ashx does not responsd with an appropriate message like "I don't care about that payment", then PayPal will keep sending the IPN. At first PayPal will send it every few seconds, then minutes, then hours, then days and then give up.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing

wave_werks
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by wave_werks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 pm

It's not at all related to a hack or anything remotely similar to that. It is a problem in the way that AbleCommerce receives the IPN and the return of a customer from the PayPal site to the store. After every single instance of someone making a successful PayPal payment for an order at our site the customer is then automatically returned to our store. However, instead of making it back to the store they see an error page. This has been going on for a long, long time and has never been fixed. Nobody at AbleCommerce seems to understand this and keeps letting version, after version after version of software come to the market with the same bug among a host of new features. I'm so cynical about it now that I'm certain that the bug is a feature. I've been working with Judy at Web2Market to get it fixed but so far we can't seem to get past whatever it is in AbleCommerce that's causing the problem.

We are using 7.0.0 (final build) and will likely remain on 7.0.0 until we know for certain that a newer version has fixed the problem.

Able... Are you listening? There are far too many threads on the forum about this. Here are just a couple.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12865
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10560
Can we make it an official bug now that it has gone from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 and now to 7.0.4? It really needs to get fixed soon.

Thanks for listening!!!
- Jeff
Wave Werks

speedythinker
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by speedythinker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:51 pm

The fact was I found that error (being captured in the error log) AFTER I made an upgrade from v7.03 to v7.4 . Before the upgrade, I never received a single error like that. But, it diidn't mean that it's trouble free. Jeff is right and so far the Paypal issue seems becoming a 'feature' to the Able , rather a 'bug'.

Shortly after the upgrade, I recieved this error log:
"An error has occured at http://....../ProcessPayPal.ashx Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

By the way,I though that Able will fix the "Auto Return" issue so I went to Paypal and turned on the Auto Return function. Guess what, it bomb the page even though those transaction was completed and my Paypal did receive money. I got no choice but turned if off again till may be one day someone smart enough to figure out how to solve this issue. Because of that, I paid $75 for the upgrade patche and then I paid $195 for the annually subscription. Just in case I won't miss a ride for a better version soon. I think there are plenty of room for the Able to get better.

Here is a wish list that I hope Able will add it on next release (correct me if the function already there):
1) Raise a flag or hightlight the order if buyer choose Next Day or 2nd Day shipment (urgent shipment need to get more attenion as we charge higher for handling)
2) Fix the "More Pictures" problem. It act so strange and most people oversight the "more picture" So, I decide not to use it and hardcode it on the page.
3) "One Click" and export sales records to whatever format avaible; .csv, .text,... whatever (may be Data Port is the solution, I haven't tried it yet. If it does, why not included with the package but need to install seperately. It's very import to get sales record for the day)
4) Dynamic manual (tree down) on mouse over
5) Better search (enable full text search is troublesome as it almost shows everything! So, it's useless)
6) Admin search only works on the item title, but it will escape the keywords seach.
7) Customer who choose Paypal payment always forget to click the Paypal button in the summary page. Left sales incompleted or paypal payment pending. Got to remind the customer that the sales is not completed yet.

speedythinker
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by speedythinker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:42 pm

By the way, I just tried the Data Port V7.4 and I think there is a bug. What I did was trying to create a .csv download for orders. I found that the Start Date and the End Date coulnd't be the same day or is showed nothing. Moreover, the data will escapte the last day if you select different day.

Exampe: If I selected one day reporting, say Dec 16~ Dec 16, it's not going to catch nothing. However, if I picked Start date as Dec 13 and the End datas as Dec 16, then it showed information from Dec 13 to Dec 15 but escapted the data on Dec 16.

People please try it and tell me that if I'm wrong

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:43 am

I have used Paypal as my payment processor and have accepted paypal payments since beta and have never had that problem you are getting. If you want to send me screenshots or something of all of your settings in paypal and able I can compare them to mine.

speedythinker
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by speedythinker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:06 am

FYI, I'm using Paypal "Website Payment Pro" but not the API. See the error screen shot :!:

After I unchecked the "Auto Return" on Paypal setting, and it will show this (still on Paypal) :

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 am

I use website payments pro as well..it works fine.

I can compare settings if you want to provide yours.

What type of hosting service are you using? Could it be a trust issue?

speedythinker
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by speedythinker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

I'm using Drundo VPS. Very good hosting company, I highly recommended!!

I simply created a gateway on my merchant and input the Payal account (in email forum)
Then I select "Sale" as Authorization Mode and turn off Debug Mode.
"Use Sandbox" was unchecked

That's the setting on Able side. I'm wondering do I need to setup a 'Token' issued by the Paypal some where?

I keep getting the errors from the Log that didn't happen before the upgrade. It's so weired!

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:54 pm

I was addressing the others more than you I suppose as I have not upgraded to 7.0.4 yet. But if paypal worked before and is broken now then maybe I dont want to.

I DO have auto return and everything else paypal related working fine in 7.0.3 besides that once in awhile I get foreign orders not marked as paid.

speedythinker
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by speedythinker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:56 pm

I got that Auto Return problem on v7.03 as well. Just let you know that it's not caused by the upgrade.
But the paypal url link error was the the new one I got after the upgrade. I was talking two issues here. Sorry for the confuse.

Regardless v7.03 or v7.04, it always sent application error once I enabled the "Auto Return" option. I'm wondering how you configure yours or do I need to do something on the merchant beside the standard setup in the Admin page.

Thx
Speedy

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm

You know what.. I just checked on paypal and it looks like I am not using auto return. I thought I was. Why do you feel you need auto return? Not that it shouldnt be fixed but the only difference is the customer may not go back to the site (if they dont click to do so) but the payment still goes through and they get a E-mail notification correct?

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm

wave_werks wrote:Able... Are you listening? There are far too many threads on the forum about this. Here are just a couple.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12865
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10560
Can we make it an official bug now that it has gone from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 and now to 7.0.4? It really needs to get fixed soon.
When a problem isn't widely reported, it's not always realized that there is a bug. Most of the conversation of this issue has been here within the last week or so.

I have looked at the threads and have noted the problem of the double slashes. I am not sure if this is responsible or not, but it's something that could be corrected. I also note there are some things that were fixed in later editions of PayPal module that were not completely ported to the 7.0.0 version. We are working on service releases now, so this is something that will be incorporated. However none of the patches to be made appear to be related.

A word about the auto return feature - I'm not sure what this is. It's new from the last time I worked with the integration. When you use the paypal button with IPN, we send a URL to PayPal to tell it where to go once it is through. That seems to make the auto return feature redundant. Perhaps that is for integrations where the return Url is not specified.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I think the problem is that people need to turn OFF auto return and that will fix the issue.. worth a shot.

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:56 pm

The problem is the auto-return feature in PayPal and how AbleCommerce integrates with it. I can verify that this is the case because with the help of compunerdy my problem has now completely disappeared.

Here's what you need to do to fix the problem:

Go to PayPal > Profile > Website Payment Preferences

Auto Return: Off

Return URL: leave blank

Payment Data Transfer: Off

Block Non-encrypted Website Payment: Off

PayPal Account Optional: On

Contact Telephone: this setting does not matter so you can decide for yourself

Support giropay and bank transfer payments: No

With these settings in place everything is absolutely perfect. People can checkout on the website, go to PayPal to make their Payment, and then either click to return to the site or continue on with other business.

Thanks again to compunerdy for the help. You've gotten me out of 8 months of complete and total aggravation and frustration. The relief of stress that I'm feeling will most certainly make my wife much, much happier. Especially since I can go and fix her site, too!

Happy Holidays!!!
- Jeff
Wave Werks

wave_werks

Post by wave_werks » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Logan_AbleCommerce wrote:
A word about the auto return feature - I'm not sure what this is. It's new from the last time I worked with the integration. When you use the PayPal button with IPN, we send a URL to PayPal to tell it where to go once it is through. That seems to make the auto return feature redundant. Perhaps that is for integrations where the return URL is not specified.
Auto-return has been a part of PayPal for many years. I came from an ecommerce package that starts with a "V". I spent about 5 years with them and had PayPal since day one. Then added PayPal Website Payments Pro the very moment it was released. I always had Auto-return "On" for one reason. I wanted my customers to be automatically returned to my store as soon as they were done making their PayPal payment. If this function is off then the customer is left to choose for themselves if they want to continue shopping at my store or if they want to go elsewhere. As a businessman I cannot for the life of me think why I would not want my customers returning tom my store to look around some more.

Auto-return from PayPal is an absolute must in my book. I will not like being without it but I'm happy to have the ridiculous error gone that was caused by a lack of proper communication between AbleCommerce and PayPal. Hopefully this will be fixed soon for all version from 7.0.0 to current.

Thanks again compunerdy. You've made my holidays very happy indeed! :)
- Jeff
Wave Werks

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:40 am

Something tells me auto return could be turned on, but it wouldn't be the paypal processing script you would want to direct people back to as the return url. I am unsure and I would have to test with this scenario.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:43 am

Also, it was pointed out to me yesterday that the setting of AutoReturn should be off according to our documentation on setting up the PayPal gateway here:

http://help.ablecommerce.com/mergedProj ... paypal.htm

I will launch a bug to have the autoreturn feature examined to see if there is a way to make it work.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:41 am

It sure does... Maybe this is why I had it turned off :P

Disable Selling Preferences
Some PayPal settings conflict with AbleCommerce and are unsupported at this time. These need to be disabled by logging in to your PayPal business account.

Set the Profile-> SellingProfiles-> WebsitePaymentPreferences -> PaymentData: OFF

Set the Profile-> SellingProfiles-> WebsitePaymentPreferences -> AutoReturn: OFF

So.. what about speedythinkers issue.. This has nothing to do with that correct?

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:12 pm

compunerdy wrote:So.. what about speedythinkers issue.. This has nothing to do with that correct?
Part of what makes identifying bugs difficult via the forum is that multiple (different) problems all get reported at once. In this thread, I feel like we've established two things.

1) AutoReply is not currently compatible with AbleCommerce 7x, as we documented.
2) AutoReply seems like a reasonable/popular feature and a bug has been created to have this investigated.

The incidence of the PayPal auto reply feature being mentioned/requested/discussed here in our forum is sparse, up until recently. I think if it had been brought to our attention sooner there's a good chance it would have been handled in the 7.0.4 release. Now the best we can do is slate it for the next version.

Now... if anyone here is having a problem and confirms the autoreply feature is OFF, please open up a new topic in the forum noting the remaining symptoms. It will make it much easier to identify and troubleshoot if the topic is focused on a single symptom.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com