Shipping Estimate 7.04

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
SamsSteins
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Shipping Estimate 7.04

Post by SamsSteins » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 am

I just upgraded and noticed the shipping estimate on the cart page is still giving a different total than the shipping charges presented during checkout. Is there someone to have the amounts be the same? Thanks.

Uzair
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Re: Shipping Estimate 7.04

Post by Uzair » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 am

I tried to reproduce the situation with my test site upgraded from AC 7.0.3 to AC 7.0.4 but couldn't. Can you provide more details like from which version of AC you upgraded to AC 7.0.4, any customizations that you've made or any thing else that you think worth to share here...

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:42 am

Try it with FedEx methods. FedEx rate quotes are more accurate when you supply the street address and city (i.e. during checkout).
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing

Uzair
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by Uzair » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:09 am

Reworked on it with FedX, by providing complete real address to shipping estimator. As per my finding, the only thing that changes the shipping rates is type of address (residential/commercial).

In AC 7.0.4, if user is not registered; shipping rates will show residential rates and in case of registered user shipping rates should reflect the primary (default) address.

Perhaps following lines from help.ablecommerce.com provide some help...

SHIPPING ESTIMATOR DEFAULTS CHANGED (ConLib/BasketShippingEstimate control)
- The html output by the control has been altered slightly to improve the final render size. This may affect custom CSS.
- The control now shows residential rates by default. To make the control generate commercial rates, set the new property AssumeCommercialRates="true" in the scriptlet editor. This value only takes effect when the user is anonymous.

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:16 am

The default Shipping Estimator in 7.0.3 on Basket.aspx only has fields for Country, State/Province, and Postal Code. The estimates I see with just those 3 fields typically differ from the final cost by 10% to 20%. The final cost is--of course--calculated using the complete address.

Based on your testing, it sounds like adding all of the address fields to the shipping estimator would solve Samantha's question. Can the 7.0.4 estimator be used on a 7.0.3 site?
Last edited by afm on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

SamsSteins

Post by SamsSteins » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:45 am

This is what I am running into;

Method Shipping Estimate on Cart Page Shipping Charges at Checkout
UPS Ground $8.06 $10.19
UPS 3-Day Select® $18.78 $21.38
UPS 2nd Day Air® $24.04 $26.65
UPS Next Day Air Saver® $47.26 $49.86
UPS Next Day Air® $51.49 $54.10

I only use UPS & USPS. USPS returns the same rates at the shipping estimate and checkout page. What I am running into a lot is a customer phoning in their order and then questioning the difference in shipping charges. Also, for me I need the option to return only residential rates; this holiday season we had a lot of customers set their address as commercial when it obviously wasn't and I think that may be the difference in the charges presented when I did a quick compare through the UPS website. So, is there anyway to set the shipping estimate to use the same validation that checkout uses?

afm
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by afm » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 pm

The estimator has changed over time. Uzair was testing 7.0.4 and it seems to work the way you want.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

SamsSteins

Post by SamsSteins » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:03 am

I am using 7.0.4. That is what the estimate gave me on the cart page and what they gave me on checkout. It seems the difference is the shipping estimate is pulling commercial rates.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:24 am

I just checked mine in 7.0.4 and it returned the same rates on the estimator and at checkout.

SamsSteins

Post by SamsSteins » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:53 am

What I just noticed, duh, when I am logged in as admin it is returning commercial rates on the cart page. When I am not logged in, it is returning the same rates on the cart page and checkout. Now I just have to remember that when someone phones in quickly :)

joebeazelman
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by joebeazelman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 am

Is there a way to make this work on version 7.0.3? I don't want to go through a long upgrade process just yet. There's way too many customizations/

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Hmm give a try and edit your ConLib/BasketShippingEstimate.ascx.cs file and locate following line of code

Code: Select all

shipment.SetAddress(estimateAddress);
and then update it as below

Code: Select all

if (Token.Instance.User.IsAnonymous)
                    estimateAddress.Residence = false;
shipment.SetAddress(estimateAddress);
After this change hopefully it will return commercial rates for anonymous users as well.