How to use PageHelper.SetMaxLengthCountDown on OPC Ship Msg

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
ZLA
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

How to use PageHelper.SetMaxLengthCountDown on OPC Ship Msg

Post by ZLA » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:41 pm

We're using the OPC ShipMessage field as our gift message with AC 7.0.2. I copied the count and label field (255 characters remaining) from the ShipMethodPage conlib and created the following.

Markup:

Code: Select all

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="4" >
 <tr>
   <th class="rowHeader">
     <asp:Label ID="ShipMessageLabel" runat="server" Text="Gift Message:" SkinID="FieldHeader"></asp:Label>&nbsp;&nbsp;
     <p style="font-weight: normal;">
        <asp:Label ID="ShipMessageCount"  runat="server" Text="255" ></asp:Label>
        <asp:Label ID="ShipMessageHelp"  runat="server" Text=" characters remaining" ></asp:Label>
     <p>
   </th>
   <td>
     <asp:TextBox ID="ShipMessage" runat="server" Text="" MaxLength="255" 
       TextMode="MultiLine" Columns="20" Rows="3"></asp:TextBox>
   </td>
 </tr>
</table>
Added to Page_PreRender:

SetGiftMessageLength();
where SetGiftMessageLength is as follows:

private void SetGiftMessageLength()
   {
      foreach (RepeaterItem item in ShipmentList.Items)
      {
         if (item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem || item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item)
         {
            Control msgBox = item.FindControl("ShipMessage");
            Control msgBoxLbl = item.FindControl("ShipMessageCount");
            if (msgBox != null && msgBoxLbl != null)
            {
               PageHelper.SetMaxLengthCountDown(msgBox as TextBox, msgBoxLbl as Label);
               ((Label)msgBoxLbl).Text = Convert.ToString(Convert.ToInt16(((Label)msgBoxLbl).Text) - Convert.ToInt16(((TextBox)msgBox).Text.Length));
            }
         }
      }
   }
(I also tried calling this routine immediately after each ShipmentList.ItemDataBound call with the same effect.)

The message textbox does have onkeyup="return checkLength(this, 255, document.getElementById('ctl00_wpm_CheckoutPage_ctl01_ShipmentList_ctl00_ShipMessageCount'))" added to it. But nowhere on the page is the javascript function checkLength defined.

Since this worked on the multiple destination page, I haven't figured out why the checkLength script isn't being registered on the page. Can anyone spot my error? Thank you.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Re: How to use PageHelper.SetMaxLengthCountDown on OPC Ship Msg

Post by jmestep » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 am

It's in the PageHelper.cs in the App_Code folder.

public static void SetMaxLengthCountDown(TextBox inputControl, WebControl counter)
    {
        StringBuilder script = new StringBuilder();
        script.Append(("<script language=\"javascript\">\r\n"));
        script.Append(("<!--\r\n"));
        script.Append("function checkLength(tb, maxChars, counter) {\r\n");
        script.Append("if ((isNaN(maxChars) == true) || (maxChars <= 0)) return;\r\n");
        script.Append("var charCount = tb.value.length;\r\n");
        script.Append("if (charCount > maxChars) tb.value = tb.value.substr(0, maxChars);\r\n");
        script.Append("var charsLeft = (maxChars - charCount);\r\n");
        script.Append("if (charsLeft < 0) charsLeft = 0;\r\n");
        script.Append("if (counter) {\r\n");
        script.Append("if (document.all) counter.innerText = charsLeft;\r\n");
        script.Append("else counter.textContent = charsLeft;\r\n");
        script.Append("}}\r\n");
        script.Append(("// -->\r\n"));
        script.Append(("</script>\r\n"));
        inputControl.Attributes.Add("onkeyup", "return checkLength(this, " + inputControl.MaxLength.ToString() + ", document.getElementById('" + counter.ClientID + "'))");
        inputControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(string.Empty.GetType(), "checkLength", script.ToString());
    }
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

ZLA
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by ZLA » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:55 am

Hi Judy. I had seen that code and it's definitely being called since the onkeyup attribute is added to the control. But for some reason, the client script block with the function definition doesn't appear in the rendered html.

One thing I noticed is there is a javascript warning that "Empty string passed to getElementById()." without any source line number. This doesn't happen during multiple destination checkout. I've verified that the counter.ClientID is correct for the counter control. One difference is that the counter and textbox are in separate table cells but that wouldn't cause the script registration to fail.

There's only a single shipment so it can't be the register script block being called twice (which is safe anyway).

Please let me know if you have other suggestions.

ZLA
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by ZLA » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:11 am

I found a link (http://forums.asp.net/t/1295255.aspx) that says it may be an UpdatePanel issue. Since SetMaxLengthCountDown uses ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock, it won't work. But using ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptBlock may handle both update and non-update cases. I'll post what I find out.

ZLA
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by ZLA » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 am

:D

That was it! In PageHelper.cs, change

inputControl.Page.ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(string.Empty.GetType(), "checkLength", script.ToString());
to

ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptBlock(inputControl.Page,string.Empty.GetType(), "checkLength", script.ToString(),false);
and then SetMaxLengthCountDown will work on pages with or without an UpdatePanel. This would probably apply anywhere in AC where ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock is used.