Printing Problem with IE8

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Printing Problem with IE8

Post by Brewhaus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:58 pm

We have upgraded one of our systems, and by default it has IE8. This has caused us grief, because IE8 does not print multi-page orders correctly. Single page orders print fine, but if the order runs to a second page then IE8 prints a blank page, followed by a page with only the billing and shipping information, then the third page prints the products. If the order prints beyond the third page, then it may miss items when moving to a fourth page. Everything printed correctly in IE6, but we never tested with IE7.

Has anyone else hit this? Does anyone have any ideas? We tried messing with the margins, but the only way to get it to print correctly is to shrink to a single page.
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

Mike718NY
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Re: Printing Problem with IE8

Post by Mike718NY » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:05 pm

Had the same problem with IE8.
Use Firefox and they will print perfectly.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:42 am

Give a try to IE8 compatibility mode. Enable the compatibility mode and then try again some prints.

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:36 am

I had thought of that, but can only find how to make older programs compatible. This is a printing issue, so I don't know how we would alter the compatibility to resolve it.
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

pezza
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Post by pezza » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:06 pm

I cannot understand some of these answers. There is obviously an issue with some of the browsers, and the answers on here seem to be "Use firefox"

Whilst that is argumentatively possible, you cannot turn round to your customers and say, "Use Firefox". Reglardless of who is better, and who offers the most, the majority of people will use Internet Explorer, and when i say customers, i mean the people who are buying things on the internet, as they will probably have a pc built for them and they just want to buy something.

I apologise if this issue is purely admin based, but surely the same applies, why are we forcing people to use a certain browser? And Firefox? Well that should, by no means be the basis of any application to rely on people to use that! The norm is always going to be IE, no matter what anyone says.

Personally, as a developer and as a "bog standard user" i will use whatever software is provided to me, and if possible, for free. You cannot argue with the majority, and more importantly you cannot argue with the software that comes FREE (or at least with your purchase of Windows)

So, the answer should be to work with M$ Developers and ensure the software works with the new version of IE, just like many other software companies. They all do it, and they all know that it is the best way to stay on top of the game!

Andrew

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 am

I just tried it on my local install of AbleCommerce and print previewed multiple orders and those seems to work good for me. BTW what is your AbleCommerce version? It could be some issue with IE8 as well.

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:00 am

We are running 7.0.2, build 11659.
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot