Options / Variants combinations

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
pezza
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Options / Variants combinations

Post by pezza » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 am

Hi,

Luckily so far, most of the products we have entered have only had 1 option, "Colour". This seems to work fine when I have images for each colour as i record the image in the options.

I have just come across one product (and there will be more) where we have "Colour" and another option called "Switched". This is a lamp, which comes in 2 colours and also can have a switch or no switch.

I have created the 2 options for Colour and Switch. Now the problem is that this has 4 possibilities, which as correctly identified as variants, but I have 4 images for each combination as follows:

Antique Brass / Switched
Antique Brass / Un-Switched
Chrome / Switched
Chrome / Unswitched

The images are recorded in the "Options" page which doesn't have the 4 different combinations, only the 2 for each separate option. What I would like to do is to assign an image to each combination so that i get 4 different images depending on the combination chosen. The Variants page seems the most ideal place to do this, as this lists all 4 combinations, but you cannot assign the images in this area. This is also the case for the sku, as i would ideally have 4 different sku's corresponding to each combination, such as:

Prod1AB-S
Prod1AB-US
Prod1C-S
Prod1C-US

I can record these this time in the variants page, but would i just leave the sku's in the options page blank, and therefore the variants sku would take over?

I see the same kind of issue for another website I am working on that sells clothing that comes in different sizes and colours. So I would have:

Red / Small
Red / Medium
Red / Large
Blue / Small
Blue / Medium
Blue / Large

But if i have an image of a blue large t-shirt, how do i assign that? I guess this example is a bad one, as the chances of having (or needing to have) different images for sizes of T-Shirts, will be virtually none existant, but for my first example, I do have an image showing the colour and the switch, and also the colour without the switch, therefore 4 different images.

Probably a silly question, but is this something that could be easily changed without the need to amend lots of code? I am not in any way a programmer, but it would seem logical to me to have the image upload at the variant level, rather than the option level, so that you can have an image for each combination. I guess there is a reason why it is not done like this?

Has anyone had a similar situation who could possible help me?

Many Thanks

Andrew

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Re: Options / Variants combinations

Post by jmestep » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 pm

You might try having one option combination instead of two different options.
Like color & switch:
Instead of
color:
switch:
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

pezza

Re: Options / Variants combinations

Post by pezza » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i guess this would be the easiest way to get round it, and it would work like that. There are different prices and different amounts of stock, but again this should work as i can still record this in the variants.

I will give that a go :)

I guess i was just expecting a matrix to be formed from the 2 options where I could add the pictures, and the variants seemed to be that place, but i guess it is not meant to be based on the variant level.

Thanks

Andrew