PayPal stuck in "Authorization Pending" status...

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Re: PayPal stuck in "Authorization Pending" status...

Post by compunerdy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:28 pm

This was easy since I had another today. I also verified some of the other ones and yes they all have funky characters in the names.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 pm

bueller...bueller...

bgreenwald54
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by bgreenwald54 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Code: Select all

<response type="sound of crickets"/>

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am

Somehow I got unsubscribed from this thread. The information provided from Brian looks very promising. I am looking into this.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

bgreenwald54
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by bgreenwald54 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:41 am

Thank you!

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 pm

I reviewed the code and I think it is a valid point... we are encoding in ASCII (why would we do that?) when we send the values back to PayPal. That can definitely cause issues - not just with international orders but probably that is the primary source. It will take time to fully proof a patch, but all I have modified is changing encoding from ASCII to UTF8. Is anyone willing to install this and run with it to see if it resolves failed IPNs for international orders? The version I have attached is only compatible with AC7.0.6 and higher.

EDIT: dll removed because it does not send correct content length for UTF8 encoding
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm

I will install it and see.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm

I recieved a few of these in the error log since installing the new version.

An error has occured at https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/ProcessPayPal.ashx The request was aborted: The request was canceled.; Cannot close stream until all bytes are written.

There are 3 of these in the logs and they all correspond with orders that where paid via credit card using paypal gateway and are marked as paid fine.. so not sure why the error.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:25 pm

I am going to go back to the old file for now because not only am I getting that error but it just charged a customer twice and still did not get marked as paid.

bgreenwald54
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by bgreenwald54 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 pm

the request stream is probably confused about the length of the data being written. This link may help:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4441 ... re-written

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Yes that is correct. I will need to get the length of data under UTF8 encoding. I will make the changes but I'm not going to repost until I actually have a chance to test myself.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

rjh
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by rjh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:05 pm

We are seeing many of these also, 3 today, however some of them are US orders. It appears to only happen with PayPal orders and not PayPal credit card orders. Let me know if I can supply more inforrmation.

-Rich

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:16 am

For me it is always paypal payment not credit card but it is always internationals for me and only certain ones.

Mizmo67
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by Mizmo67 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Tagging this thread for notification, as we are very keen to stop the Waiting for IPN's that are actually paid situation.
Thanks for your continued efforts to find a solution!
~Mo
~Mo

Maureen Albertson
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts LLC
Contact Me Via Store Website
Ablecommerce Gold R11 Catalog LIVE

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 pm

One of the difficulties we were having is there is a setting in your PayPal merchant profile that must be made in addition to our code changes. Even if we handle the validation callback correctly using UTF8, it doesn't help because PayPal is (most likely) sending you the response in windows 1252 encoding. So the input is already mangled before we get it.

More to come soon...
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Once again, is there anyone willing to try this patch out and see if it resolves the situation? There are two parts.

File Patch:

1) back up your existing bin/CommerceBuilder.PayPal.dll file to another folder (outside of bin)
2) install this attached dll into the bin folder (overwrite your original)

Paypal Merchant Setting:

1) Log in to your paypal seller account.
2) Go to the profile tab.
3) Under selling preferences column, choose language encoding link.
4) On language encoding page, click the more options button.
5) On the more encoding options page, the second option is "Do you want to use the same encoding for data sent from PayPal to you (e.g., IPN, downloadable logs, emails)?" For this option choose "No, use:" and in the drop down box choose "UTF-8".'
6) save the changes on the more encoding options page so that PayPal sends IPN notifications in a better format

With these two options in place, I think the trouble will be resolved. In testing I can reproduce the problem if I make a purchase as a customer with a special character in the name, such as an accented e. It isn't necessary for the order to be international for this to be the case.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone willing to give a beta test to this patch.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Giving it a try.. will let you know.

Step 5.. do I select UTF-8 in both drop downs?

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:40 am

Originally I tested it with both dropdowns set to UTF8. It worked, but I was worried about what possible unknown consequences changing the first box would have. So instead I wanted to document the minimum change required to make the IPN work. That is to only change the second drop down to UTF8 - this tells PayPal to send notifications in UTF8 which is what we are after.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I tried both and everything seems okay but I will go change it just to test it out.

UPDATE.. Changed it and have not had any issues. I got a order that I am sure would not have worked before that cleared correctly this morning.

6/20.. still seems to be working. No issues and no orders not maked paid.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 am

So far still good? I am happy with the testing of the UTF8 improvement on our side. My question is whether this is the last remaining issue we had with IPN.

We will take this patch and get it documented and posted on our help site soon provided there are no other reports of trouble.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

bgreenwald54
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by bgreenwald54 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks to compunerdy for doing this testing. I don't have the luxury of making this kind of change in my environment very easily. So glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this issue. My accounting team will be even happier.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 am

Still no problems and no orders not marked.

AbleTwo
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by AbleTwo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Hello,
We are experiencing this issue on a 7.0.7 (build 14588). I see the patches are only for 7.0.5 and 7.0.6. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do to resolve this issue? We have verified the primary address and confirmed the steps for IPN have been completed.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as we have hit a wall.
Brittany Hazlett
AbleCommerce Support
http://www.AWCS.net
Your AbleCommerce Experts!
Brittany@awcs.net
949-544-7156