Bundled Item Inventory

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
wilhud
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Bundled Item Inventory

Post by wilhud » Wed May 05, 2010 4:38 pm

I have not had a chance to test this out yet, but was wondering if anyone knows the answer off hand. We're going to use bundled items, but I want to make sure the inventory tracking works as I would hope it does.

If I bundle item A & item B and someone purchases 1 bundle, then does 1 come out of inventory on each of those individual skus? If so, do I have to have track inventory turned on for the bundle in order to make this happen or does it work so long as track inventory is turned on inside the individual skus?

A more advanced question I also have which isn't as big of a deal right now is...can bundles have sizes assigned? So if I bundle 2 t-shirts together, can I setup bundle variants that tie into the variants on the individual tees? If not, no biggie. Just curious.

Thanks,
Wil

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Re: Bundled Item Inventory

Post by compunerdy » Wed May 05, 2010 4:54 pm

1. Yes, but you have to make a parent item. So you would do something like this.

parent item) sku Shirtbundle (not a real item) set its inv level at 9999999 0 price 0 weight
child item) sku shirt1 (set it to use item price and weight and set it to track inv)
child item) sku pants1 (set it to use item price and weight and set it to track inv)

2. Yes. When adding the child items if it has variants you will be asked to choose one.. so you have to add each variant separately but it does work.

I have a ton of bundles/kits but I may have missed a step here as I have not created any new ones for awhile.

wilhud
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by wilhud » Wed May 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Tim,

1. Thanks for the quick response. I believe that's how I set my bundles up, so it sounds like I should already be doing it the right way.

2. As for the variant bundles, I do know that it asked me what variant I wanted to assign, but that locks me into one size. What I'm wondering is...what if I want to have something like this....

BundledSKU - Apparel Bundle
>> IndividualSku1 (M, L, XL, 2X) T-Shirt
>> IndividualSku2 (M, L, XL, 2X) Sweatshirt
>> IndividualSku3 (No Variants) Cap

In that case, I don't want it to assign only medium. I want the bundle to have 2 dropdowns, 1 for the tee and 1 for the sweatshirt. I would need 16 different skus for all the different bundle combinations that could be created out of the different sizing options. Is that possible? I set the variants up on the bundle itself, which makes it appear as if it is setup on the user side of things. However, when I go to setup my bundles on the backend, I can only see a way to assign 1 size to the bundle. I can't figure out how to link the component variants with my bundle variants.

Wil

wilhud
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by wilhud » Wed May 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Oh, I see. I was putting the variants in the normal product variants like you would with a non-bundled product. Instead, you would create a component for each item and then for the items that require variants, you set those as a dropdown component. That way the sizes can be assigned. I'm going to test it out now.

Thanks!
Wil

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Wed May 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Yes..sounds like you got it now.

wilhud
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by wilhud » Thu May 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Yeah, I was complicating things more than they needed to be.
It was all in the bundle/kits area. Thanks Tim!

Wil