Order number versus order ID and payment gateway

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
bsweeney
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Order number versus order ID and payment gateway

Post by bsweeney » Thu May 06, 2010 3:07 pm

First off let me say that I'm aware of the differences between order number and order id (the forum is a great resource). With that in mind I have two questions:

1) What would cause the order ID to suddenly change? We are a low-volume store and currently are using AC only administratively (i.e. the store hasn't been released publicly). Our order numbers/ids got out of sync for no apparent reason, going ...68/68, 69/69, 74/674, 75/675...

2) Why would the order id be sent to our cc gateway instead of the order number? It makes for a bit more work to reconcile information from our processor with information in AC since the order id isn't displayed to the end user.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Order number versus order ID and payment gateway

Post by mazhar » Fri May 07, 2010 5:10 am

1) What would cause the order ID to suddenly change? We are a low-volume store and currently are using AC only administratively (i.e. the store hasn't been released publicly). Our order numbers/ids got out of sync for no apparent reason, going ...68/68, 69/69, 74/674, 75/675...
If jump is in order number then may be during testing some one changed next order number or order number increment. You can see these settings under store -> settings page.
2) Why would the order id be sent to our cc gateway instead of the order number? It makes for a bit more work to reconcile information from our processor with information in AC since the order id isn't displayed to the end user.
Although order id is proceeded at many locations but for display purpose we show order number. If you are seeing orderid instead of order number some where for payment gateway. Gan you provide me the name of gateway you are using for CC processing and some description about where its happening?

bsweeney
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by bsweeney » Fri May 07, 2010 8:35 am

mazhar wrote:
bsweeney wrote:1) What would cause the order ID to suddenly change? We are a low-volume store and currently are using AC only administratively (i.e. the store hasn't been released publicly). Our order numbers/ids got out of sync for no apparent reason, going ...68/68, 69/69, 74/674, 75/675...
If jump is in order number then may be during testing some one changed next order number or order number increment. You can see these settings under store -> settings page.
The big jump was in the order ID. We were running into some problems with ordering due to a store setting, which could certainly account for the discrepancy. I found it odd that the ID jumped so much, though, and by exactly 600. Figuring that out is more for my own edification than anything else.
mazhar wrote:
bsweeney wrote:2) Why would the order id be sent to our cc gateway instead of the order number? It makes for a bit more work to reconcile information from our processor with information in AC since the order id isn't displayed to the end user.
Although order id is proceeded at many locations but for display purpose we show order number. If you are seeing orderid instead of order number some where for payment gateway. Gan you provide me the name of gateway you are using for CC processing and some description about where its happening?
We're using Paymentech. I'm seeing a few issues with this processor. The other one I've already submitted a bug report for (AVS response codes aren't reported correctly). I enabled debugging on the gateway and AC is reporting the order ID in the OrderID field in the XML. Presumably this should contain the order number instead?

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 am

Well I am not sure why this is case because we have no setting to change orderid. May be some one may have tried some change on database schema level during tests.

About second issue, if this is the case and processor is sending orderid in my personal opinion order number makes more sense then order id for providers. Anyhow I suggest you to report a bug on our CRM with details.

bsweeney
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by bsweeney » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 pm

mazhar wrote:About second issue, if this is the case and processor is sending orderid in my personal opinion order number makes more sense then order id for providers. Anyhow I suggest you to report a bug on our CRM with details.
Will do!

relish1227
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by relish1227 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:21 am

Hello,

Can you explain to me what you mean by "First off let me say that I'm aware of the differences between order number and order id (the forum is a great resource)" ?

My client just emailed me saying that the confirmation emails are listing orders that are off by one. In the email they see order # 7669 but in the admin area it's #7668. I noticed when I went to view the order in the admin area that I saw BOTH in the querystring! Ex: /Admin/Orders/ViewOrder.aspx?OrderNumber=7668&OrderId=7669 Why are there two? Is it possible to get them synched up? Or should I just update the email to display the Order "Number" instead of the "ID?"

Thanks for any help or direction you can provide.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:48 am

You should just update your emails to show the order number, the one the customer sees. The order id/order number has been that way for so many years that I don't remember all the reasons, but the order id is an auto-incremented field in the database and that is assigned before the order gets sent to they payment gateway. The order number is assigned after that, when the order is "created". There might be gaps in the order id sequence if you have orders that were not created because a payment fails. There are not normally any gaps in the order number sequence.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

relish1227
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by relish1227 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:13 am

So if the most recent order has OrderNumber=7709 and OrderId=7710, then I just need to up the OrderNumber to be 7011. Then it will be in synch with the OrderID for the next purchase. And there's a way to update the OrderNumber, in Configure > Website. I purchased the next order myself, to test, and they are now the same. Thanks!