Errors generated by custom indexing during upgrades

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
WylieE
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Errors generated by custom indexing during upgrades

Post by WylieE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:10 pm

We just upgraded one of our development servers from 7.0.4 to 7.0.5 and encountered one alter table error. The cause of the error looks to be indexes we created for improved performance. I deleted the index and ran the alter command. The site looks OK.

This makes me wonder if it would be reasonable to expect future errors as a result of the indexes we've created. NOTE: IMO, additional custom indexes are a necessary part of AC performance tuning.

If fields are being dropped during upgrades, would it be reasonable (and safe) to have AC drop any indexes referencing those fields? That would eliminate these errors in the future.

AC people, could you weigh in here please? Is this something that could or should be done during upgrades?
Eric Wylie
Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc.
http://www.warmoth.com

WylieE
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Re: Errors generated by custom indexing during upgrades

Post by WylieE » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Anyone?

AC team? Are you still around here?
Eric Wylie

plugables
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by plugables » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:38 am

It seems you have some custom indexes added to your database. One of them seems to refer to ReferringAffiliateID field in Users table. This prevented AC from dropping the ReferringAffiliateId column from ac_Users table. Affiliates feature was updated in 7.0.5 and ReferringAffiliateID field was removed from ac_Users. You can manually remove this field from the table after removing the index that refers to it.

WylieE
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by WylieE » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Got all that and was not part of my question.

I have seen other AC users adding indexes to improve performance. I get the impression this may not be uncommon.

If fields are being dropped during an upgrade, is it possible for AC to check for any additional dependencies on the field in question? (ie. custom generated indexes.) Delete the index in question rather than throw an error during upgrade?

We can work around minor upgrade issues like this, but I can imagine any error during an upgrade could be a major concern for smaller sites that may not have access to IT staff. Just a suggestion to potentially make upgrades smoother for everyone.
Eric Wylie