Bad error if user doesn't exist in ac_Users...?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
b3n
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Bad error if user doesn't exist in ac_Users...?

Post by b3n » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 am

Hi

Has anyone come across the following error when trying to login with a non-existent user? We recently moved to .NET 3.5 but I can't be sure this has anything to do with it as a reference copy we have running on 2.0 throws the same message. It does strike me as odd though that an extremely frequent error, such as logging in to a non-existent user, doesn't have a 'prettier' error message...

"Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 500"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Benjamin

s_ismail
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: Bad error if user doesn't exist in ac_Users...?

Post by s_ismail » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:50 am

Give a try by adding this code in your page

Code: Select all

ValidateRequest="true" 
If your page is Login.aspx then it would be like this one

Code: Select all

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Layouts/Scriptlet.master" Inherits="CommerceBuilder.Web.UI.AbleCommercePage" Title="Login or Register" ValidateRequest="true" %>

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:55 am

b3n wrote:Hi

Has anyone come across the following error when trying to login with a non-existent user? We recently moved to .NET 3.5 but I can't be sure this has anything to do with it as a reference copy we have running on 2.0 throws the same message. It does strike me as odd though that an extremely frequent error, such as logging in to a non-existent user, doesn't have a 'prettier' error message...

"Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error occurred while processing the request on the server. The status code returned from the server was: 500"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Benjamin
Can you have a look at your error log right after the occurrence of this error and see if there are some more details about issue?

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:45 am

We have seen sites getting a 500 error from Paypal now when it hadn't happened before and nothing in the site code has changed.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

b3n

Post by b3n » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:48 am

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I think this is related...

So I took care of the 'User doesn't exist' error and it turns out it was a result of the combination of server software we were using and the latest version of Able and switching to .NET 3.5. I'm pretty confident that this is the case as we've now discovered the exact same 500 error on a custom bit of code elsewhere. In our shop we carry 'conference' products and due to the way our back-office systems work we can only process one booking per customer at once. To prevent people adding more than one conference to their basket at once a simple check is in place when they hit 'Add to Basket' that scans the basket for existing items and checks the product category of each; if the category matches 'Conferences' then the new conference is not allowed into the basket.

Seems simple enough? Unfortunately this is now throwing the same 500 error as the previous bug, but only when the user has nothing currently in their basket... do we think my assumption about empty result sets is correct? The way I see it if the query that says 'SELECT * FROM BasketItems WHERE id = <ID>' returns nothing, we're getting the 500 error, therefore something has changed in the way SQL is being handled.

I can also confirm this due to my local test shop not suffering this error, while running from the same code. The only difference is we've got MSSQL 2008 & IIS 7 here, and the live server is running MSSQL 2005 & IIS 6 (both are running on .NET 3.5).

I'm going to look at modifying the check code now, but hopefully this helps someone else who's seeing odd errors after an update.