Restrict access to only one specific group

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
jrib
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Restrict access to only one specific group

Post by jrib » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Still trying to find a good method to restrict access to a particular category/product so that ONLY certain groups can view/order those products. We don't want it to visible in any search or even via a direct link unless that qualified user is logged in with their credentials for that group.

In response to another simmilar request I seem to remember reading a message here from Able that the ability to do just this was on the radar for 7.1. Does anyone have any insight as to how this might be done with the current version (without much custom coding since no one here is a coder per se) or perhaps any projected release date of a version that would support this feature?

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Restrict access to only one specific group

Post by mazhar » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:06 am

Well this feature is not available out of the box at the moment. It will require custom codes. One approach to accomplish this could be to change product visibility to private. This will remove these products from retail side listings. Then you need to customize locations listing the products to see if user is in some specific group then show him/her allowed products having private visibility.

jrib
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by jrib » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 am

Hello Mazhar,

Appreciate the input. If a particular product's visibility is set to "private", does that remove it from the general site search results as well? We have something close to a wholesale situation with our materials where we sell to individuals as well as certified trainers, but don't want to reveal the discount pricing the certified group receives.

Also, re. "...not available out of the box at the moment". I believe it's been mentioned here (by Logan perhaps?) that the feature under discussion here was on the list for 7.1. Is that anything you can speak about?

Thanks again.

mazhar wrote:Well this feature is not available out of the box at the moment. It will require custom codes. One approach to accomplish this could be to change product visibility to private. This will remove these products from retail side listings. Then you need to customize locations listing the products to see if user is in some specific group then show him/her allowed products having private visibility.

laramp
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Post by laramp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Does anyone know if this was built into 7.0.7 or if anyone has built the ability to password protected categories and items for certain user groups?

jrib
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by jrib » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 pm

laramp wrote:Does anyone know if this was built into 7.0.7 or if anyone has built the ability to password protected categories and items for certain user groups?
Great question! I started this thread a few years ago and haven't been paying that much attention as to whether that's a feature which is available now.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading here that this is something we might expect in 7.1. Seems to be a long time coming...

laramp

Post by laramp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm

I will probably have to build it.... it seems one of the few things Able 7.0.7 is still lacking :(

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Did you ever get anywhere with this? We would like to offer our wholesale catalog online, but much as yourself, cannot have our retail customers seeing the wholesale catalog.
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

pjs75
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by pjs75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm in need of this feature. Just wondering if anyone has built this or if it is in later releases?

Pat.

AbleMods
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by AbleMods » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm

The feature was never added to the 7.x versions, and it didn't make it into Able Gold. Still the only solution is to create customized pages that specifically restrict product visibility. It's pretty hard to do without full source code.
Joe Payne
AbleCommerce Custom Programming and Modules http://www.AbleMods.com/
AbleCommerce Hosting http://www.AbleModsHosting.com/
Precise Fishing and Hunting Time Tables http://www.Solunar.com

pjs75
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by pjs75 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm

I contacted AC sales, and they pointed me to this:
http://www.web2market.com/Products-Assi ... -P132.aspx

It does it all! We will just use that.