Google Analytics with PayPal

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
WebDev7
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Google Analytics with PayPal

Post by WebDev7 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 am

I was wondering if anyone is having issues with Google Analytics tracking using version 707 (from upgrade 706) and PayPal sales.

Credit card sales are being documented, PayPal sales are not.

If the Conlib:GoogleAnalyticsWidget is on all Footers including the MyOrders.aspx where PayPal returns to, shouldnt the PayPal sales be recording?

Thank you in advance.

krittleb
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Re: Google Analytics with PayPal

Post by krittleb » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:27 pm

I am REALLY hoping somebody answers this question as I came to the forums just now to find this exact solution as we are having the same problem!!!

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:22 am

Is there a setting in GA where you can configure what pages the sale should be registered from? It's been a while since I looked, but you might check that out.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

krittleb
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by krittleb » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:02 am

Somebody else on our team configured the analytics, but I believe that you set a certain page as your "goal" and when that page is hit, it marks the sale and collects the data from that page. We have it set to the receipt.aspx page which is where it lands after a credit card sale. However, it does not land there after a PayPal sale. It lands on the myorder.aspx page when coming back from PayPal. I was wondering if that is the issue but have been told there is no way to have it come back to the receipt.aspx page instead, even with custom coding???...

crazyjoe
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by crazyjoe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:19 pm

I also am having this issue. I have recently upgraded to Able 7.0.7 and my Google Analytics have stopped registering PayPal orders. Can someone look to see if this is a bug or if there is some other way I can setup my PayPal so this is no longer a problem?
Crazy Joe Sadloski
Webmaster
Hot Leathers Inc.
http://www.hotleathers.com

krittleb
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by krittleb » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 pm

We had a developer get this fixed for us. He actually changed some code in the analytics widget itself instead of adding PayPal specific code somewhere. He added the myorder.aspx page to the logic as that is where the PayPal orders eventually land. It appears to have worked like a charm. This is how he explained his changes:

Original logic:

If the page is the receipt page.
AND
The order was less than a minute old
AND
The order hadn't been entered into Google Analytics already
THEN
Display the tracking code that will record the transaction in Analytics.

Now the logic is:

If the page is the receipt or my order page.
AND
The order was less than 20 minutes old
AND
The order hadn't been entered into Google Analytics already
THEN
Display the tracking code that will record the transaction in Analytics.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks Kristi. It was very kind of you to provide a developer's solution for this.

We looked closely at the changes made between versions 7.0.6 and 7.0.7, and we found that the change in behavior would be caused by issue ID AC7-2, where the AutoClick feature for Paypal was enabled by default. If you are using the legacy Paypal with Google Analytics, a simple work-around would be to change the AutoClick property back to false. The Paypal control is shown below -

Utility\PayPalPayNowButton

Summary:A buy now/checkout button for paypal.

Usage: [[ConLib:Utility\PayPalPayNowButton AutoClick="false"]]

Properties:

AutoClick
Possible values are true or false. Indicates whether the customer should be automatically redirected to the PayPal site after placing an order. If set to false, the user must manually click the PayPal button to continue placing the order.

----
I'm going to re-open the issue, so we can try to provide a better fix for this in a future version.

Thanks,
Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

crazyjoe
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by crazyjoe » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Katie,

I'm not proficient enough to figure out how to change my GoogleAnalyticsWidget.ascx.cs page as Kristi said her developers did. And I can't turn off Auto-Click for PayPal because many of my customers did do the second PayPal click which actually completes their orders. Is it at all possible you can give us a new GoogleAnalyticsWidget.ascx.cs that has Kristi's modification? I'd have to assume this would be a great asset for everyone using GA & PayPal.
Crazy Joe Sadloski
Webmaster
Hot Leathers Inc.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 am

crazyjoe wrote:Hi Katie,

I'm not proficient enough to figure out how to change my GoogleAnalyticsWidget.ascx.cs page as Kristi said her developers did. And I can't turn off Auto-Click for PayPal because many of my customers did do the second PayPal click which actually completes their orders. Is it at all possible you can give us a new GoogleAnalyticsWidget.ascx.cs that has Kristi's modification? I'd have to assume this would be a great asset for everyone using GA & PayPal.
Here is modified GA control code file with logic explained by Kristi. Extract and then upload/replace the file in your Website/ConLib folder.

crazyjoe
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by crazyjoe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 am

YES! GREAT SUCCESS!! Thanks, you guys are awesomesauce.
Crazy Joe Sadloski
Webmaster
Hot Leathers Inc.

mouse_8b
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by mouse_8b » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Many thanks to you, Kristi and Mazhar