Can still purchase a product marked DISABLE PURCHASE

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Can still purchase a product marked DISABLE PURCHASE

Post by NC Software » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:58 pm

We discontinued a product, marked it private and checked disable purchase. Sure enough, we get an order for this product. How did this happen?

I assume this person had it in their cart for some time. The checkout workflow has to check to see if the product is marked as disable purchase before it can be paid for.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Re: BUG: Can still purchase a product marked DISABLE PURCHASE

Post by NC Software » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:18 pm

After looking into this further preparing for our web site update tonight, the product that is disabled (disallow purchase) is a KIT component of another. So it looks like the bug is that when disabling a product and setting it to private does NOT affect kits that use that product.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:49 pm

If you where using inventory and it had 0 then it would not allow it.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:24 pm

I do not use inventory.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Must depend on how you setup your kits.. Here is what I do.

Main item has inventory of 999999 and is not a real item
all kit sub items have actual inventory listed for them and most are marked private (as I do not sell them individually)

This way if any sub item goes to 0 inventory then the kit cannot be purchased. Granted I have plenty of stuff that goes negative inventory for unexplained reasons so I am pretty sure there are some bugs in the system.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Hello All,

It was fully intended that a product that is marked disable purchase can be used in a kit, many items are placed in kits which are not available otherwise.

Please see the following link to report a bug or future request in the future, so they are not lost in the forums.

http://help.ablecommerce.com/faqs/ablec ... a_bug_.htm
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Re: Can still purchase a product marked DISABLE PURCHASE

Post by NC Software » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm not sure that's a good idea Mike. For example right now there is a shortage of hard drives. What if Dell had a 146GB drive in a kit that they didn't want to sell any more of? There inventory may not be 0 but they don't want to sell them. Do you think Dell is going to go through 8 gagillion kit configurations on their web site to remove this kit item? Shouldn't they just be able to disable purchase and then it would drop off the kit component list? If a product is marked "disallow purchase" then it should not be able to be purchased. And in my case, I don't use inventory, so it's a real problem, as it already has become. Also the ability to "share kits" has disappeared so that may have been an easier option so you could update one kit and all shared kits would be updated, but it still doesn't prevent the problem for a large store such as in the Dell scenario.

When we don't want a product purchased, we set it to private. An item marked disable purchase should not be allowed to be purchased EVER and should be checked at checkout in the event it's already in someones basket.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Sorry I thought you said you DO use inventory..

Its too late to change it now.. But I do not see why the current version of "disable purchase" could not get a name change to "disable non kit purchases" or something like that and then add a real "disable purchase" option that when selected could be checked at the basket level.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 am

Tim,

I'm sorry but I disagree with the rationale that it's supposed to be allowed in Kits. I'll contact Logan and the developer's opinion on this. In my opinion disable purchase should be a blocker regardless where the item is, kit or not. We have visibility options on products to help that matter, something needs to be global to get an item out of kits should it be discontinued, recalled, etc.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 pm

I was just warning against making changes to a system that has been in place for years and that could affect other users as we have had enough of that already.

I use kits probably more than most and I do not use the "disable purchase" option at all that I know of. For kit items that I do not want sold separately I use the Visibility:Private setting.

Maybe they can fix the disable purchase to do what it says it is supposed to do "it cannot be added to the basket" as I see no need for it to work as a kit function as Mike suggested since the Private setting does the job he described.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello Tim,

You can link to a private product and it could be purchased so in theory someone could 'find' your private products with a bit of digging, however it seems quite unlikely that anyone would.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:38 pm

Mike,

I think you mean "Hidden". You can purchase Hidden products from direct links. Private products can be attached to Kits but CANNOT be accessed independantly or via direct links. A "DISABLE PURCHASE" product should disappear as a kit component and NOT be allowed to be purchased EVER, IMHO.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:35 am

Correct, a Private product can only be purchased via a kit as far as I know. I agree with Neal.. make disable purchase make it 100% impossible for the product to be added to the cart.

meer2005
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by meer2005 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 am

I guess this was changed to block all items with disable purchase from being part of kits in R9 or somewhere along the line as this thread progressed?

How do we change it back to allow items to be set to disable purchase and be part of kits? We have many, many items that are setup like this and it's going to be a real pain identifying them and changing them. Since it was allowed in earlier versions (and all of our kits are setup this way), is there a way to change this to allow for kit items to have disable purchase set? This would allow anyone who has it setup this way in earlier versions to have a much smoother transition to Gold.