Discover Card Network Not Fully Supported?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
JaminLeather
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Discover Card Network Not Fully Supported?

Post by JaminLeather » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:55 am

I received a letter from Discover stating that our website (7.0.5.14053) is not full enabled to accept Discover network cards.

After investigating with their support department, we found that is one range of numbers that Able Commerce fails to recognize as valid. I get the message "You must enter a valid card number" when trying to submit the card number.

The unsupported number range is 35280000 to 35899999. (You can use the card number 3566006669703810 for testing.)

Is this card range supported in a more current release of Able Commerce? What can I do to make my current website correctly validate this number?
Jamin' Leather Catalog Outlet
http://www.jaminleather.com

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Re: Discover Card Network Not Fully Supported?

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:28 pm

The sample number you have provided doesn't conform to the standard format of check digits I'm familiar with. Can you verify this number is valid for testing?

These numbers look like JCB numbers, which is probably part of the alliance between these two issuers. It should work correctly. When I try a card number that passes the check digit validation in that range it works OK. Example:

There is a math formula that helps ensure you didn't make a typo error in entering the number. It calculates what the last digit should be based on all the numbers prior. It's called a check digit. In your sample number the last digit is 0 where it is expected to be 8.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

JaminLeather

Re: Discover Card Network Not Fully Supported?

Post by JaminLeather » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you for testing. This is the number given to me by the Discover Card representative and it does represent JCB cards. It's possible they made an error.
Jamin' Leather Catalog Outlet
http://www.jaminleather.com