Old Fedex API going to break?

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
bkort@web2market.com
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Old Fedex API going to break?

Post by bkort@web2market.com » Wed May 02, 2012 12:37 pm

We've heard bits and pieces of information that concern us about the Fedex integration. We've heard that versions before 7.0.7 might need to be updated. Perhaps some versions of 7.0.x might not be using the current Fedex web services api. Consequently, they would stop working as of 5/30/12.

So should we be looking to update sites using Fedex with versions 7.0.0 through 7.0.6?

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Re: Old Fedex API going to break?

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Wed May 02, 2012 5:32 pm

I thought we had published an interim patch for FedEx for past versions. I'm having trouble locating that and it seems this is only available for AC7.0.7 unless I am missing it.

We are currently in the process of having our integration certified by FedEx. I think our hope was we could release a final update for this using the blessed integration - in that one there is not as much setup difficulty. You do not have to cross hurdles like signing up for a developer key on the FedEx site and it incorporates a few other features not in the existing published integration. Unfortunately this process is taking longer than I would like.

Yes, the old API is going to be shut down and people currently using it need to be migrated forward. I have alerted everyone here to the trouble we are facing so that we can take some action in advance of that date. We may not have a choice besides releasing the current patch for past versions, then re-releasing an update once we get the OK from FedEx.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

page8workaholic
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by page8workaholic » Thu May 17, 2012 9:22 am

We have a customer running version 7.0.4 and we're going to apply the patch, but when looking at the install instructions we noticed that there is no existing CommerceBuilder.FedExWS.DLL files of any sort in the existing bin folder to replace. The same holds true for the Admin folder as well. The only items referencing FedEx are just that CommerceBuilder.FedEx.DLL, no WS included in any of the names. That being said does this patch still apply? I know that the install instructions list steps for versions 7.0.0 through 7.0.6...?

Thanks
Jackie Apshire Jr.
Page8studios.com

Desire without dedication is simply dreaming...

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 am

It is expected. The WS is abbreviation for Web Services. The patch was done as a new integration so that it could run side by side with the old one during the transition stage. You can apply it and then you will have both FedEx integrations installed. Once you configure the WS version you can deactivate the other one through the admin UI.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

meer2005
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by meer2005 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:27 am

Do all 7.0.x versions need to be updated? Where can I find the patch and has it been certified?

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 pm

All versions need to be updated. The existing FedEx API is going to be shut off. The uncertified patch should be used... there is no other alternative at this stage. Our certification requirements were completed earlier this month but I have yet to get further feedback from FedEx and/or the live keys so we can launch that integration.

The big difference between the uncertified and certified patch is that with the uncertified patch you have to do a bit of extra work to get a developer key and enable the integration. With our certified patch those steps go away. It will still be forthcoming, but looking at the date I wouldn't suggest waiting.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

foodsleuth
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by foodsleuth » Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm not clear on what steps have to be followed for those of us on 7.04?
1. where is the download?
2. Do we have to get a Fedex developer key?
Can someone assist? Thanks much.

foodsleuth
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by foodsleuth » Tue May 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Is this the patch we are supposed to apply? I don't want to break anything:
This issue only applies to products using the "Ship Separately" calculation option. However, we recommend applying the patch if you are using the newer FedEx Web Services integration.

The problem occurs when multiple quantities of the same item are purchased, the number of packages sent to FedEx is incorrect.

For example, if you have an order with the same 3 items, the shipping will be calculated on 1 item only.

Download:
ftp://ftp.ablecommerce.com/patches/FedExWS.zip

Instructions:
1.Extract the 2 new files to a temporary location on the server.

- CommerceBuilder.FedExWS.dll
- CommerceBuilder.FedExWS.XmlSerializers.dll

2.Backup the same files that exist in your \Bin\ folder.

3.Copy both of the new files to the \Bin\ folder of your AbleCommerce installation.

4.Recycle the application, or restart the web server.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Tue May 29, 2012 5:32 pm

This was the bulletin we issued on 5/6:

http://help.ablecommerce.com/upgrades/a ... _patch.htm

The link contains installation instructions and the link to the latest version of the files.

If you have never configured FedEx Web Services for AbleCommerce, then go click through to the shipping gateways section and add it. When you do this there are instructions on screen to walk you through getting the integration activated.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

rhuffman
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Post by rhuffman » Thu May 31, 2012 6:01 pm

I've installed the new FedEx API - so far so good. However, there is one major issue.
When running the shipping estimate from the webpage, the calculations are substantially higher when not logged in than they are when logged in.
Why would the calculator return different shipping results for the same zip code destination when there is no login vs being logged in?
The higher price would discourage potential customers from buying when there are differences as high as 20-30% between the actual and the estimate.

Is there some sort of configuration issue or is this a bug?

Thanks

Ray Huffman
Darby Creek Trading Co.

bkort@web2market.com
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by bkort@web2market.com » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:31 am

Just FYI... We've installed the latest patches on all our clients' sites. All appears to be well with them.

BYGTechnologies
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by BYGTechnologies » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:27 pm

My client uses AbleCommerce and has had trouble with FedEx from the beginning. They are using version 7.0.4.13424 of AbleCommerce. They use the Shopping cart to capture the orders, but use the Ship Manager software from FedEx in their warehouse to do their shipping. They have noticed a large discrepancy between the rates produced by AbleCommerce and those produced Ship Manager.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

I was hoping that this patch would rectify the problem, but it didn't.

I had to come up with my own custom FedEx class and integrate it with AbleCommerce.

I'd be happy to assist anybody else who has this issue.

Thanks,
Mike Stark
BYG Technologies, LLC
signup@bygtechnologies.com

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:45 am

Out of curiosity what was the cause of the discrepancy that you resolved in your custom solution? One thing that our certified patch has different than the currently released one is the ability on the configuration form to choose to always return list rates rather than to return discounted rates for merchants who are eligible for them. But in terms of what would return for non-discounted rates, I don't see any differences in the certified code and our currently published version of the integration. Part of certification was running test cases and providing the transaction logs so that FedEx could verify our rates matched what they expected to see. So I'm curious about what discrepancies you have found and how they come about.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

rusty
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by rusty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Yesterday (6/5/2012) one of our clients noticed that the Fed-Ex options for 2-day air, international, etc. stopped showing up. We had originally applied the patch 5/18/2012. Everything had been running fined until yesterday. We noticed that the patch was updated on 5/31 with mention of the international rates (http://help.ablecommerce.com/upgrades/a ... _patch.htm) - and downloaded and applied the patch again.

Has anybody else noticed Fed-Ex options missing?

Thanks!

Rusty Swayne
Mindfly Web Design Studio
Rusty Swayne
http://www.mindfly.com

rusty
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by rusty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:57 am

I just wanted to follow up on my previous post. The issue turned out to be a simple configuration change which the customer needed to make. The patch appears to be working fine.

Thanks!
Rusty Swayne
http://www.mindfly.com

andswan
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by andswan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:40 pm

@ Rusty I am also having issues with Fed-Ex options for 2-day air, international, etc. not showing up. Could you please detail the solution?

andswan
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by andswan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Okay I just had to change the Gateway Mode from "Live" to "Test" and now it works. But shouldn't I need it to be in live mode? I'm confused.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 pm

On the initial setup, you are given a test key. The purpose of this step is to validate that your application is working correctly (in test mode). Once you have verified you can get rates, you need to request a production key from FedEx. You can do this by logging into the FedEx developer services area. The link is on the left hand bar, under technical resources, under fedex web services for shipping, under move to production. The direct link to the page you want is here:

https://www.fedex.com/wpor/web/jsp/drcl ... ction.html

At the bottom of this page, there is a button that says obtain production key. If you go through that button you can get credentials that you can put into AbleCommerce to use the live FedEx environment.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

andswan
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by andswan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks! It works now!