USPS and UPS together not working correctly

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
laramp
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

USPS and UPS together not working correctly

Post by laramp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Hello and thanks in advance...
Here is the problem... I have set up both UPS and USPS and they work together fine for every state except Puerto Rico. I know there has been a ton of discussion on this matter but this is a bit different. I do get all the USPS shipping methods and they display collectly in the estimator and in the shipping selection in checkout. The issue is none of the UPS shipping methods show up when Pueto Rico is selected... they do not show up in the estimator or in checkout. I have checked to make sure each method selected in the admin do actually ship to Puerto Rico.
Currently, the way it is set up is Puerto Rico is as a United States state and it is set up as it's own zone.
Any help on this would be great...or if there is a patch I am missing please let me know.
Version:
AbleCommerce for ASP.NET
VERSION: 7.0.7.14600
MSSQL v2008
AC SCHEMA v2005
.NET CLR v2.0.50727.5456
ASP.NET TRUST: Unrestricted
CommerceBuilder.UPS: 7.0.10041.0
CommerceBuilder.USPS: 7.3.14358.0

crockettdunn
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Re: USPS and UPS together not working correctly

Post by crockettdunn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:41 pm

I have a similar problem- PR as a US "state" won't return UPS shipping methods. I think the answer could be to have the shipping estimator ask for a postal code when PR is selected as a country, but I'm not sure how to make this happen.

Checkout works OK for me with PR as the country selection.

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:41 am

USPS and UPS work differently for PR. For one, it is a state, for the other, it is a country. We have had to set up two different configurations in the admin regions and countries and then the rates come thru.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 am

Does your shipping estimator ask for a postal code when selecting PR as a country?

I'm ONLY using UPS, and I have the checkout process working fine with PR. Looking at the UPS logs, I think the problem experienced with the shipping estimator is a result of not sending a postal code to PR.

So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to make the shipping estimator ask for a postal code with purerto rico selected as the country.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am

If you go to the Configure > Store page, there is a section "Locale Settings". One of the options is called Postal Code Countries. Did you try added PR here? I think that should trigger the postal code requirement for all forms as well as the shipping estimator.
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:51 am

thanks, Katie! I had not seen that. Still not getting shipping methods for PR, but now I can check the UPS.log and see what is being submitted/returned.

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Katie, that was the solution. My dev server didn't return ship methods until I turned off debugging. From what I see in the AC error log, it was trying to access the same UPS.log file that is being used by the live site. Now if I could just figure out where to set the logfile path....

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Maybe it's coming from the Store URL path on the Configure > Security > System Settings page. If you made a copy of the db, and forgot to change this URL, it might be used to determine the path for the log files as well as some other features.
My dev server didn't return ship methods until I turned off debugging.
So...you turned off debugging for the USPS gateway, and it started to work? I am trying to help another customer that can't get the correct services to return for Guam. I thought maybe I would ask to see if it's related to the problem you were having.
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Katie,
The problems I experienced were only with UPS, not USPS. I noticed no shipping methods were working on the dev server, and I remembered seeing some errors in the AC log about being unable to open the log file, so I turned off UPS debugging, and ship methods began working.

For UPS, it's pretty simple to debug. With logging turned on, I just start the checkout process, then look at the UPS.log. If I don't see the services I expected returned, I get in touch with UPS support via the website and ask.

With Guam, I would start by going to the carrier's website (UPS, USPS), and seeing what services are available for that region. This is how I figured out that I had to add new UPS shipping methods for Canada.

thanks for the idea about the path. I'll check it out.

crockettdunn

Post by crockettdunn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:43 am

didn't find the path setting for UPS logging in the Security:System settings. For now I'll just make a rule not to have debugging on both sites simultaneously.