CRITICAL: Cannot checkout using IE10 in Windows 8

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Re: CRITICAL: Cannot checkout using IE10 in Windows 8

Post by Brewhaus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Gotcha. Update installed, Scriptlets.master file updated. I will post if we have any reports of issues.

Now I need to get someone with IE10 to test. :P
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Looks like your site works to me..

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:25 pm

I take it you are running IE10, and check our site(s)? If so, thank you much, Tim. :D
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:26 pm

what needs to happen is AC 7.0.7 and 7.0.8 "GOLD" need to get tested and certified for .NET 4.5 and essentially make it the required .NET framework and the browser definitions and these other issues won't happen again. This affects more than IE10, it also affects mobile browsers as the new browser definitions are required for these devices as well. .NET 4.0 is outdated and if you're going to keep up with mobile you better move to .NET 4.5.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 pm

While I will not be as harsh as Neal I will say that this seems to be a reoccurring theme with commerce software. They continue to pump out "updates" that they think is necessary but overlook or do not want to take the time to address the issues that NEED attention such as PayPal, USPS, browser compatibility, etc.. Yes the PayPal issue has been fixed after 4 years.. Yes USPS got fixed (always after people had to complain and stores where loosing orders).. I think your current customers would appreciate you putting these issues first and staying proactive rather than just looking towards the next 7.0.x so you can sell more software/subscriptions.

Also, why are we not allowed to see the bug system? This was a nice way for us to see what is and what is not being addressed. I know when reading some in the past it helped me understand all of the thought process, etc that goes into them and why things can or cant be changed.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Hello Tim,
I think your current customers would appreciate you putting these issues first and staying proactive rather than just looking towards the next 7.0.x so you can sell more software/subscriptions.
If we charged $1295 annually, then we could change our business model to be as you've suggested. Our current model was adopted nearly 20 years ago, and we've kept our pricing too low for the quality of our software and support. When we lowered the price from $2495 to $995.00 the price of Gold was under $400 an ounce. Just to keep up with inflation we should be charging nearly $5000 per store in today's dollars. At the same time we dropped the price we also discontinued custom development, so we were able to focus on pushing features for the new business model.

I'll let you know that the majority of our customers don't purchase a subscription since they customize their software so much and don't want to upgrade. This is a catch 22, as we are getting no new revenues from the folks on older versions and as every day goes by we have more and more versions to patch when issues do arise. So in order to stay in business we have NO choice but to keep a laser focus on new features and customers.

We are very open to suggestions on improving our business model, just not necessarily in this thread :)
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

frankenstein897
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by frankenstein897 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Running .net 4 on Win 2008R2. Tried to install hotfix and it said that it does not apply or is blocked by some other condition. I am running gold R2.
Thanks,
Chris

http://www.networkcablesonline.com
Network Cables Online, LLC
Running AbleCommerce GOLD R6

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm

It's was possibly part of a service pack at some point or you've installed .net 4.5.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Chris, I had this same problem.. It turns out I downloaded the 64 bit version since that is all it showed based off my comp being 64 bit.. But my server is 32 bit so I had to select "show all" or something so I could select and download the 32 bit version.

AbleMods
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by AbleMods » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 am

FYI the Microsoft patches would not install on Server 2003 R2 with ASP.Net 2.0. I had to follow the manual install steps to load the ie.browser file into the /App_Browsers/ folder of the site itself.

Unable to test yet though, need to round up somebody who's got IE10/Win8.

I had no problem with the Microsoft patches on Server 2008 R2 running both ASP.Net 2.0 and ASP.Net 4.0.
Joe Payne
AbleCommerce Custom Programming and Modules http://www.AbleMods.com/
AbleCommerce Hosting http://www.AbleModsHosting.com/
Precise Fishing and Hunting Time Tables http://www.Solunar.com

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am

I am running W2003 SBS (SP2) with .NET 2.0 and the install went off without a hitch. Odd.

If you send me the site(s) that you want tested I can probably do it by this afternoon. You have my e-mail address. :-)
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

frankenstein897
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by frankenstein897 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 pm

I downloaded the wrong package, I downloaded the 32-bit package and we are running on a 64-bit server. Got the 64-bit version and it worked. Well, it installed. I assume I don't need to do anything for GOLD. According to the help page.
Thanks,
Chris

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Re: CRITICAL: Cannot checkout using IE in Windows 8

Post by NC Software » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:20 am

Shopping Cart Admin wrote:Hello Neal,

I don't see that this issue was reported to us, you have reported issues in the past via our official channels. The forums are not checked frequently during heavy development phases and are not a good place to post bugs. As previously noted this is an issue with the new IE and anyone using the new version would of quickly figured out the issue and enabled the compatibility mode by now. With hundreds of devices and operating systems, it's just not possible to preemptively test things like this.

http://help.ablecommerce.com/faqs/ablec ... _bug2_.htm

Please help us by reporting issues via our official channels, as it's difficult to fix things we don't know about.
Mike,

Forums vs. your internal e-mail system:

1) If I submitted this issue to bugs@ would anyone have looked at this prior to the holiday? When would I have gotten a fix so that I could have my store operational and fully functional for black friday / cyber monday

2) Using your internal system does not make others aware of the issue so that devs here can help others. Had it not been for David we would not have had the fix as fast and others would not have known of the issue or a quick fix to have their store functioning for the biggest shopping weekend of the year.

Using an e-mail bug reporting system is not always ideal especially for critical issues such as this. It's up to you whether or not you want to participate in the forums to better your products and services. The forums were the right place and as a result I got a quick fix and had a great sale weekend. Microsoft uses a public system "Microsoft Connect" for defect tracking. Some use JIRA - which I thought you all once used? That's public, here's vBulletin's http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa and Kayako's http://dev.kayako.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa which I participate in.

In the past I submitted e-mails to your feedback@ and bugs@ accounts and it was discussed at some time in probably another forum that it was too overwhelming to manage and at that point I stopped. In my opinion, a product such as a shopping cart where issues can affect others the information is better served public. Nothing is more critical than financial loss/impact and no customer of yours should have a situation such as this one for long.

I'm not sure I believe in the fix and have not updated my server with that KB fix yet, it should have been pushed to windows update by now, not sure why it hasn't yet. The original fix seems to have worked for me (IE9 compat), I hope everyone has tested thoroughly AFTER applying the fixes. Ultimately the best option in my opinion is getting on board with .NET 4.5 ASAP so these browser defs are updated and other issues are kept up with Microsoft's fixes. From the time of this issue (Hanselman in August) until the time of this problem being identified was way too long. I hope your folks can and have learned from this. It's not support for an outdated browser, when a new browser comes on board as big as IE it must be tested prior to commercial availability i.e. use your MSDN.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

david-ebt
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by david-ebt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 am

Neal,

I can attest to the need for both fixes to be applied to some sites. We did have a couple of sites that only needed the IE compatibility meta tag but other sites still couldn't log in or checkout without also applying the browser definition file update. The sites were being hosting on different servers, so it could be that some servers had been updated with the new browser files and others had not.
David
http://www.ecombuildertoday.com
Enhanced Reporting for AbleCommerce

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

Howdy Neal,

Post in both places then, just be sure to report it via the official channel so we are alerted to it. Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:57 am

it should have been pushed to windows update by now, not sure why it hasn't yet.
Not everyone uses Windows Update, so regardless of whether or not an update has been issued, it does not mean that everyone will have it. Yes, most will, but not all. The fact is that Microsoft appears to have put the cart before the horse in releasing IE10 without first pushing updates for .Net to recognize it. And, AC has nothing to do with that.
Ultimately the best option in my opinion is getting on board with .NET 4.5 ASAP so these browser defs are updated and other issues are kept up with Microsoft's fixes
I do not know if older versions of AC would accept .Net 4.5, but even if they will that requires everyone to migrate their server to .Net 4.5. Many of us prefer to avoid changes when our system is running properly- just as Mike previously suggested (that we do not upgrade to new versions because we are comfortable with our sites, have customizations, and/or would prefer to focus our time on sales and growth instead of learning new software). If there is a change to a browser, etc., that causes something to not function properly, we are interested only in a fix that quickly gets us back to that focus.

Should AC have been aware of the issue? Sure. And had they put out a notice on the forum would most of us have even known? No. The only reason that I found this thread was because a customer contacted me the other day to tell me that IE10 did not work until he put it into compatibility mode, so I jumped onto the forum. It is my website. Should I have made sure to test as soon as IE10 came out? Yes. I am guessing by the date that this thread was started that you were likely in the same situation, that is, you only found out a few days ago that your site(s) did not work on IE10, but never thought to test. Keep in mind that, at the end of the day, this was not really even an AC issue- it was an issue with .Net needing to be updated and MS fixing a couple of bugs. I am thankful that AC has given us a fix, but I do not feel that it was their responsibility.
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

trozzi
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by trozzi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Applied fix to a computer running Windows 8 / IE10 and can't add item to cart. The machine is a development laptop. The laptop is hosting a development project for Able Customer.

THanks
Thomas

frankenstein897
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by frankenstein897 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 am

Is there anything else that needs done on a GOLD R2 site other than apply the fix?
Thanks,
Chris

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am

Hello Chris,

The hotpatch from Microsoft is the only thing required for GOLD as there are no imagebutton's used.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

frankenstein897
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by frankenstein897 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 am

Thank you!
Thanks,
Chris

Chris Hadden
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by Chris Hadden » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:50 pm

I am running ablecommerce 7.02 My web host says the site is running NET 3.5 (SP1)

I looked at the ablecommerce HELP link on this issue. It takes you to a blog. Hanselman.com where he states "There is a bug in the browser definition files that shipped with .NET 2.0 and .NET 4,"

Can anyone confirm whether NET 3.5 is also effected by the bug?

Thanks
Chris

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Hello Chris,

.net 3.5 is really just .net 2.0 with some added benefits. You'd want to install the .net 2.0 patch.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Chris Hadden
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by Chris Hadden » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Ok thanks appreciate the info.

Chris

sloDavid

Post by sloDavid » Tue May 21, 2013 2:40 pm

I can confirm david-ebt's solution on page 1 of this thread.
After installing the .net 4.0 hotfix, which by itself did not solve my problem, I was able to finally fix it by adding the two App_Browser project files found in http://www.hanselman.com/blog/content/b ... Update.zip
Like David, I did not need the x-ua-compatible meta tag.