CRITICAL: Cannot checkout using IE10 in Windows 8

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

CRITICAL: Cannot checkout using IE10 in Windows 8

Post by NC Software » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:34 pm

This thread is getting long so I'm posting a direct link to the fixes so there more easily found

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=17001#p72623

My site: 7.0.7.latest on Windows Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 and .NET 4. Nothing has changed in a long time.

A customer reported a problem trying to checkout, as I use Chrome I wasn't able to duplicate a problem. I remoted into his computer and saw he's using IE (10) in Windows 8. I tried both metro and desktop uses of IE, both will NOT checkout and throws an error. I reproduced this trying IE from my computer which also runs Windows 8 Pro:

Code: Select all

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.LoadPostData(String postDataKey, NameValueCollection postCollection)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection postData, Boolean fBeforeLoad)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
Anyone else see this or know of a fix?
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Re: CRITICAL: Cannot checkout using IE in Windows 8

Post by NC Software » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:37 pm

I tried able's site and I can't even add to the basket using IE in Win8 so it's not just my site!
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:45 pm

IE on Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 work fine. This is specific to IE in Windows 8 (desktop and metro)
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

david-ebt
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by david-ebt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

The problem is with IE10. If you run IE10 in compatibility mode it, the site will work.

According to the post below, IE10 is now sending X and Y coordinates for the mouse as doubles instead of ints. One quick work-around that has worked for at least one of our sites is to force IE10 into IE0 compatibility mode. We've done this for 7.0.7 in the Layouts\Scriptlet.master file.

Here's the site that talks about this:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... b5190c988b

Here's the updated Layouts\Scriptlet.master file:

Code: Select all

<%@ Master Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="CommerceBuilder.Web" Namespace="CommerceBuilder.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts" TagPrefix="cb" %>
<%@ Register Src="~/Layouts/AdminPanel.ascx" TagName="AdminPanel" TagPrefix="uc" %>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<head id="head1" runat="server">
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9" />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />
</head>
<body onload="initAjaxProgress();">
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <ajax:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" EnablePartialRendering="true">
        <Scripts>
            <ajax:ScriptReference Path="~/js/WebKitFix.js" />
            <ajax:ScriptReference Path="~/js/common.js" />
        </Scripts>
    </ajax:ScriptManager>
    <ajax:UpdateProgress ID="UpdateProgress1" runat="server" DisplayAfter="2000">
        <ProgressTemplate>
            <div id="ajaxProgressBg"></div>
            <div id="ajaxProgress"></div>
        </ProgressTemplate>
    </ajax:UpdateProgress>
    <asp:WebPartManager ID="wpm" runat="server"></asp:WebPartManager>
    <cb:ScriptletZone ID="ContentZone" runat="server" HeaderText="Content" PartChromeType="None" Width="100%">
        <ZoneTemplate>
            <asp:contentplaceholder id="PageContent" runat="server">
            </asp:contentplaceholder>
        </ZoneTemplate>
    </cb:ScriptletZone>
    <uc:AdminPanel ID="AdminPanel" runat="server" />
    </form>
</body>
</html>
This hasn't fixed all of our sites. But manually changing IE10 to IE10 compatibility mode enables IE10 to work with all of the sites we've tried.

Not the best time for a bunch of people to be switching over to Windows 8 and IE10.
David
http://www.ecombuildertoday.com
Enhanced Reporting for AbleCommerce

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks David - that seems to have worked, feel free to test my site anyone that wants to: www.nc-software.com

There is a reason developers get MSDN subscriptions to test their products to ensure compatibility prior to general consumer use. This should have been caught by AC and fixed long before now, two days prior to major sale events. Just like when we got .NET 4.5 it broke my site and I had to revert the server to .NET 4 as I posted about in the forum. Still to this day I can't run .NET 4.5 and AC said it wasn't a priority as they were working on GOLD. GOLD beta didn't work either in .NET 4.5. I'm waiting for .NET 4.5 to appear on Windows Update and break all AC 7.0.7 sites, I sure hope that doesn't happen especially this time of the year.

I'm two days out of a big sale as most are, I greatly appreciate your post to resolve this so now I can ensure 100% reliability on my store again.

Thanks again David.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 pm

A customer alerted me to this issue. Before I change my Scriptlet.master file, has anyone found it to cause any unintended issues, such as causing the site to not work with a different browser?
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:41 am

I haven't tried the patch, but we saw two sites this week that had the same error and hadn't been able to figure out what was causing it since we couldn't replicate the error.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

roadkill
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Post by roadkill » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:32 pm

i got an email today about this issue so I checked the boards then I checked with Google Analytics and i got 2 sales from IE 10....so it is working for some people and not for others. Hope this is fixed shortly...

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:42 am

I don't know if you are wrong or not, but two of the clients I notified about the problem DIDN'T want it done because they were afraid it might mess something up and they felt like not too many people had Windows 8 yet. I told them to let me know when to implement it and if a customer reported a problem like this before I implemented it, find out what operating system and browser the customer was using.
I did implement it on two sites and it got rid of the errors and didn't cause any problems.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:42 am

Hello Neal,

I don't see that this issue was reported to us, you have reported issues in the past via our official channels. The forums are not checked frequently during heavy development phases and are not a good place to post bugs. As previously noted this is an issue with the new IE and anyone using the new version would of quickly figured out the issue and enabled the compatibility mode by now. With hundreds of devices and operating systems, it's just not possible to preemptively test things like this.

http://help.ablecommerce.com/faqs/ablec ... _bug2_.htm

Please help us by reporting issues via our official channels, as it's difficult to fix things we don't know about.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:50 am

I live chatted with Fred, you all were well aware of it, I also PM'd Logan. When new browsers and operating systems come out please do your part in testing your products to ensure they are compatible before your customers (us merchants) lose revenues. That's why we software companies get MSDN subscriptions, to test our products prior to consumer availability. This was really bad timing before one of the biggest shopping sessions of the year, I'm glad David had a solution. For an e-commerce vendor your #1 priority, in my opinion, should be never cause financial loss. Keep up with your forums as do I with mine. I hope Windows 8/IE 10 gets immediate attention as well as .NET 4.5.
Last edited by NC Software on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:56 am

Hello Neal,

We have a procedure to verify issues before they are given to development, neither Fred or Logan are part of this procedure. Please post via the official channels so we don't have unnecessary delays in the future.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

david-ebt
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by david-ebt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 am

It looks like this is a browser definition file issue on the IIS servers. Here's a link that describes the problem:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/BugAndFix ... ition.aspx

We added the App_Browser folder from this link to the Able sites that were having problems and now they're working fine. No more post back errors. And you can remove the meta compatibility tag mentioned above.
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/content/b ... Update.zip

The problem was that because the browser capability files were out of date, they were reporting IE10 browsers as IE5 and that JavaScript was not supported. This meant no client-side JavaScript like the button post backs were working.

This fix needs to be made for each website. There is another fix you can make at the machine level if you control the actual server versus hosting your site on a shared server.
David
http://www.ecombuildertoday.com
Enhanced Reporting for AbleCommerce

NC Software
AbleCommerce Partner
AbleCommerce Partner

Post by NC Software » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 am

I just checked my google analytics and I'm showing about 6% of the visitors are using IE10
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 am

Hello David,

Thank you for the additional information, I was just doing some additional testing and confirmed that it wasn't just image buttons.

Was doing some further testing and it affects more things than image buttons.

1. Turned on compatibility mode and added item to the mini-basket.
2. Turned off compatibility mode and reloaded page.
3. Clicked the delete button (link) in the mini-basket to remove item from mini-basket.
4. Built in browser pop up dialog came up to confirm deletion, but when I click ok the item never is removed.

The browser pop-up is having the issue as well and it's not using an Image for submit.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Re: CRITICAL: Cannot checkout using IE10 in Windows 8

Post by Brewhaus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:38 am

This fix needs to be made for each website. There is another fix you can make at the machine level if you control the actual server versus hosting your site on a shared server.
We operate our own server (Server 2003 SBS, IIS6). Can you please expand on the change that we need to make to ensure that IE10 works correctly, or is the file change above sufficient?
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am

Hello Rick,

I'm waiting on official confirmation from development that David's findings are the best solution to the issue. Based on my initial testing the issue is not limited to image buttons, so the fixes detailed in the article linked below is quite likely to be the best bet. The fixes outlined are directly from Microsoft's KB.

Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks, Mike. Just to make sure that I understand correctly, the best plan of attack (seeing as we have access to the server) is to apply the hotfix in KB2600100. Is that correct?
I do not mean to sound dense- I just always like to make doubly-sure before I apply any hotfix. :-)
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Hello Rick,

I'm still waiting for final confirmation, however I'm guessing you have .net 4.0 installed so this hot patch would be the one you want.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600088
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Actually, I have .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 on the system, but the AC sites are using the 2.0 instance. I am not certain why I left them on 2.0, but if I recall it was something to do with other changes that I had to make to the sites in order to run on a higher version. Of course, that was also before I was running 7.0.7, so while that is off-topic, if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction I am happy to move our AC sites to .NET 3.5.

What confused me most on the hotfix is that IE10 is brand new, yet KB2600100 (which appears to be the correct hotfix for this issue on .NET 2.0) shows the update to have been back in 08/11. Does that seem right?
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Hello All,

We just installed the .net 4.0 hot patch on the AbleCommerce website and found that we could add to basket using IE10/Windows 8.

>>However it only corrected the links that were post backs. The checkout image in the mini-basket and the one page checkout STILL required the changes David posted first to force IE10 into compatibility mode for those to work.

Rick, I'd install the 4.0 patch as I'd suggested before as it's updating the IIS library and should resolve the issue. But there isn't clarification on this on Microsoft's website.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Hello All,

Microsoft has confirmed these two issues as bugs and has made patches available.

ISSUE 1: Javascript disabled in IE10 due to outdated browser definitions file.

See the following blog for detailed information and links for older versions of .net:

For Net. 4.0 this is the kb you want to see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600088

ISSUE 2 - ImageButtons don't work in IE10 in .net 4.0 and older. (Was patched in latest 4.5 release).

To fix image buttons in IE10 a meta tag needs to be added to the header of the site:

In AC7.0.x websites this can be corrected by editing the file ~/Layouts/Scriptlet.master. Find this line:

<head id="head1" runat="server">

Add the meta tag immediately after this. If a site is using customized master files the tag should be added to those as well.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9" />
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Brewhaus
Vice Admiral (VADM)
Vice Admiral (VADM)

Post by Brewhaus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:05 pm

So, what I need to do:
Install .NET 4.0
Install the .NET 4.0 hot patch
Change my AC sites to run on the .NET 4.0 instance (instead of 2.0)
Update the Scriptlets.master file (as above) to force IE10 to run in compatibility mode

Is this correct?

Skip my post- it looks like you hit Submit before I did. :wink:
Rick Morris
Brewhaus (America) Inc.
Hot Sauce Depot

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Hello Rick,

Don't install .net 4.0 if you don't already have it installed. Install the hot patch for 2.0 instead.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Applied the hotfix and modified scriptlet file and things seem to be working fine now.

You probably should push this to the dashboard news for people who may not have noticed yet.