Fixed Redirect does not work when product missing

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
RichWendrock
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Fixed Redirect does not work when product missing

Post by RichWendrock » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 pm

We have a number of products that are being replaced by a new product. We want references to those old products to redirect customers to the new product. We setup the Fixed Redirects for each of the products. Testing the redirects worked perfectly. After creating all of the redirects and testing them, we went back and deleted all of the old products. Now when we test the redirect for the retired products, we get an error 404 page not found. It appears that AbleCommerce handles the redirect differently when the Product Id is in the redirect name (e.g. 12-inch-Ape-Hanger-Bagger-Kit-COMPLETE-2008-2011-P2020.aspx).

Here is how to demonstrate the problem.

1. Create a Test Product or select any product name you want to redirect and Display the product detail page so you can acquire the URL for the product. (e.g. 12-inch-Ape-Hanger-Bagger-Kit-COMPLETE-2008-2011-P317.aspx)
2. Copy the URL from that product detail page
3. Paste the URL into Request Path under Administration > Configure > SEO > Fixed Redirects
4. Pick any other product that you want to use as the "Redirect to" field. (e.g. CREATE-YOUR-OWN-COMPLETE-Bagger-Ape-Hanger-KIT-for-Street-Glide-Electra-Glide-and-Ultra-Classic-P2064.aspx )
5. Copy that URL and paste it into the "Redirect To" field.
6. Save the entry and test the results by accessing the first URL in your browser. You will see that the redirect works, the page has been replaced.
7. Delete the original product in the first URL.
8. Try to reference the URL again and you will receive an error "Page Not Found"

Now for an interesting thing that David Johnson found, if the P317 is not in the URL, the redirect will work. The P317 is the Product Id placed in the URL by AbleCommerce. It appears AbleCommerce is detecting the P317 and then tries to access the product id. As long as the Product Id 317 exists, the redirect works. Once Product Id 317 is deleted, the redirect does not work.

Just so we are clear about the URL, all of the URLs are generated by AbleCommerce.

Does anyone have a fix for this?
Regards,
Richard

http://www.TheHomePageStore.com

AbleCommerce
VERSION: 7.0.7.14588
MSSQL v2005
AC SCHEMA v2005
.NET CLR v2.0.50727.3634

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Fixed Redirect does not work when product missing

Post by mazhar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 am

I tried to reproduce the case using above proceedure but it didn't happened for me. Maybe its happening somthing specific due to your configurations of fixed redirects? Can you make sure there is no other redirect rule created for same deleted URL?

ForumsAdmin
AbleCommerce Moderator
AbleCommerce Moderator

Post by ForumsAdmin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:37 am

Can you please share the fixed redirects you have created and dynamic redirects if any?
I suspect there are multiple definitions that can intercept your given URLs.

RichWendrock
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by RichWendrock » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 am

I checked the rules and do not have duplicates.

Here is a test case I am using just to try to get it to work. Here is the link I setup to use for testing.
http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com/ ... P2344.aspx

I went into SEO Fixed Redirects and setup these entries... they are still there.

/Copy-of-Widow-Eclipse-Front-Rear-Wheel-Tire-Package-wABS-P2344.aspx

/Default.aspx

If someone tries to access that product, they should be taken to the home page.

You can test it and see that it goes to the redirected page.
Regards,
Richard

http://www.TheHomePageStore.com

AbleCommerce
VERSION: 7.0.7.14588
MSSQL v2005
AC SCHEMA v2005
.NET CLR v2.0.50727.3634