Make Coupon Stick

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
sweeperq
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Make Coupon Stick

Post by sweeperq » Mon May 18, 2015 6:48 am

In AC7, it appears that if there are no items in the cart, coupons do not stick. For example, I might have a special landing page that applies a coupon, but if there is nothing in the cart it gets deleted from the cart right away. Are my observations correct, and is there a way to change this behavior?

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Make Coupon Stick

Post by Katie » Mon May 18, 2015 7:55 am

Yes, this is likely the expected behavior. If there are no items in the cart and a coupon is applied, then you would have a negative order balance. If you wanted to change it, then you would need to customize the basket code. I'm not sure if you would need the source code in order to do what you need though.

Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

sweeperq
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Re: Make Coupon Stick

Post by sweeperq » Mon May 18, 2015 10:23 am

Obviously this is an older version and I'm not expecting a "fix", but it would be nice to be able to apply a coupon code to a basket without applicable products (or no products). It would then only create the coupon discount lines for applicable products.

I had incorrectly assumed this was the way it was supposed to work since there is an ac_OrderCoupons table that links a Coupon Code with an OrderId.

Coupons are just an easy way to set up a time-constrained discount and track it's usage.

I guess I can create a cookie that holds on to a Coupon Code until the end of the session. But then I'll have to check for the cookie on every basket request, see if it is already applied to the order, and apply it if it is eligible.