Special Case Inventory

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
BYGTechnologies
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Special Case Inventory

Post by BYGTechnologies » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:03 am

I have a Client who is in the lumber business. They are unique. Customers who come to their AbleCommerce website order 'product types'. For example, a Customer may want 1000 linear feet of 10 foot long boards made of oak. To fill this order, my Client must look at their inventory to find packs of boards (my client bundles up the lumber) that come close enough to filling the order.

The bundles/packs that are used to fill the order are the true inventory. What the customer is actually ordering is a type of wood. So, what is needed for this project is a way to track the true inventory and assign the bundles to an order after the order has been made.

My question is: has AbleCommerce been used to do something like this before? If so, is there any documentation on it?

Or, alternatively, I'd like some assistance on designing / implementing a solution. Can somebody help?

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Special Case Inventory

Post by Katie » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:46 am

I'm not sure which version of AbleCommerce you are using, because you posted to the old 7.0 forums....answers may change depending on version.

Can't you track the linear feet via inventory control in AbleCommerce? So for example, if 1 bundle of 10 Oak boards x 10 ft long each equals 100 linear feet, then track 100 in AbleCommerce per bundle. Assuming of course, the client can break up bundles...

You might have to make a customization to make sure minimum purchase requirements or that you don't end up with a situation where your client is cutting the 10ft boards. I don't have all the details, so this is just an assumption of how your clients wishes to sell the lumber. There is a minimum purchase amount that can be set per product. If the Oak is sold at 0.50 cents per LF, and they sell a min. of 1 bundle, then you can set the min. purchase price to $50 (for example).

When the lumber company gets new boards to sell, then they simply enter the new inventory (in total lineal feet) using AbleCommerce's inventory control.

Hope this helps,

Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support