Migrating to production server ( What options to change?)

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
nfortune
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Migrating to production server ( What options to change?)

Post by nfortune » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:52 pm

If I were going to migrate from a development machine ( localhost ) to a production server, what parameters do I need to change??

I will be exporting my local DB to the production server ( which might have a different DB name and DB user credential ).

Is there any recommended procedure in doing so?

Thanks!

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Install your production site using the standard installation procedure. You will at that stage provide the credentials for the database, which must exist but just for the purposes of installation. You will also provide the serial key that will be registered for your production domain.

When installing the production site, since you are bringing your development data over you do not need to import any sample data.

Once install completes, log in to the admin of your production site. Go to the Confiure -> Security -> Encryption Key. Under the restore encryption key, restore using the backup from your development server. (You do have a backup of that right?) This will update the encryption key on the live server to match that of the development server (and the database).

Now, to migrate from development to production, move all files from development to production EXCEPT: contents of App_Data and any *.config file.

Config files could be migrated if you know you have made updates, but these are files you should never migrate: ~/web.config, ~/App_Data/database.config, ~/App_Data/encryption.config.

For App_Data, you do want to migrate all contents from two subfolders: ~/App_Data/DigitalGoods and ~/App_Data/Scriptlets. However, you do not want to migrate the other files in App_Data nor the "logs" folder.

If you are using the local sql express database, you can also migrate the *.mdf and *.ldf files in App_Data. More likely, you will need to migrate your database to the production server separately from file updates.

After migration is complete, you should log in to the production site and check the Configure -> Store menu and check the Store Url. This is used mainly in email generation.

I think that covers all the things to be aware of. Please ask questions if any part is unclear or if I misunderstood your deployment plan.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

nfortune

Post by nfortune » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Thanks Logan! This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. :)