Questions from a client wishing to use 7.0

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
MikeHEA
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Questions from a client wishing to use 7.0

Post by MikeHEA » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:13 am

Hello,

I have a customer who wishes to use the latest ASP.net AbleCommerce 7.0 solution. Unfortunately I have not used an AbleCommerce product in a few years and need a little help answering a few of their questions. We do not need anything precise, just very raw numbers for budgetary planning.

1. How long is a typical installation and implementation onto a local web server?

2. How Customizable can the Skinning be and how long does it take to implement an original web design?

3. They wish to add a section to their website that will handle building a customized product. This would essentially be a step-by-step process with each customization being priced like an a la carte item. Is there a tool already in place for this type of process?

4. If we wish to write custom code for the feature above, would this be something that is possible using the the API or are we locked out from making such catalog customizations?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Katie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Mike,
1. How long is a typical installation and implementation onto a local web server?
After you have installed the required software to run AbleCommerce, it literally takes minutes to get AbleCommerce running. Very easy.

Please take a minute and check the 7.0 Support page -
http://www.ablecommerce.com/crmTree.aspx?&TopicId=424

From this page, click the "Installation Guide" link for a walk-through that shows each step of the installation with screen shots.
2. How Customizable can the Skinning be and how long does it take to implement an original web design?
The 7.0 version of AbleCommerce is very customizable and easy to implement. I can't really estimate how long because everyone has different needs. Please download the PDF file we have which explains how to customize your store.

Customization Guide:
ftp://ftp.ablecommerce.com/AC7_Docs/Abl ... 0Guide.pdf

After you have Able installed with the included Sample Data, you can use this Quick Start Guide to get things moving along.
ftp://ftp.ablecommerce.com/AC7_Docs/Abl ... kStart.pdf
3. They wish to add a section to their website that will handle building a customized product. This would essentially be a step-by-step process with each customization being priced like an a la carte item. Is there a tool already in place for this type of process?
I'm not sure, without a little more detail or an example, but, I would definately look at Kits and/or Product Templates.

The Kitting feature allows you to create a single product with various components that are required or optional. There's a lot more to it, but it might be better explained with an example.

e.g. A computer that allows the user to buy a 'base' system for $x, but also to upgrade for $x, individual components.

e.g. A gift basket where the customer can (or can't) choose the individual items and get different pricing than purchasing separate.

Product templates can be used for the merchant or the customer. With a template, you can enter a list of options and default values. The template is assigned to the product and can be used over and over.

If you need more explanation, I would be happy to help. It might be easier to try it out in a demo store.

Thank you for considering AbleCommerce!

Katie