Tax Inclusive Pricing

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
Bumbles
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Tax Inclusive Pricing

Post by Bumbles » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:11 am

I need to find a way to calculate and display tax inclusive prices.

In New Zealand we have a sales tax of 12.5% (GST), international purchases are exempt from this tax. As a retailer we are legally required to display pricing that is INCLUSIVE of GST on our website.

Our current shopping cart has the option of displaying the tax inclusive prices . It either uses the logged in users country profile to calculate the tax or defaults to the tax calculations suitable for the shops "home". I can't find any options that would allow me to set the site to show tax inclusive pricing anywhere in AC7.

I thought about having no tax rates loaded in AC, however this wouldn't work for international purchases. Also ideally I would like to have the tax calculated so that it shows on the invoice. I played around with conlib/utility/ProductPrice to try and manually force the display prices up by 12.5%, until I realized that it only affected prices on the product, and wasn't used for displaying the prices of items in the shopping basket.

Before I spend any more time on this I thought I'd check to see if there were any better ideas, or if I'm swimming against the tide.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:00 pm

One solution is to enter all of your prices as tax-inclusive into the admin area. Then at checkout when an order is being placed, you can add in an additional basket item for orders where the tax should not be charged. A little custom code can be added to the checkout page so you total up the price of the products, then divide it by 1.125 to figure out the total without your 12.5% tax. Then take the difference and create a basket item that subtracts that from the total.

Could that work for you?
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

Bumbles
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by Bumbles » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:31 am

Hi Logan,

The ideal solution would be if the prices could be added exclusive of tax and then tax added (for New Zealand only), as the invoice would then accurately show the amount of tax charged.

If this is not easily possible then as long as the invoice can be made to not show tax of "0.00" and a statement added to indicate that tax is included in the total price (something like "GST is included in the total price for New Zealand customers"), then your solution would work. I don't know how to go about making changes to the invoice or making the changes that you have suggested, so would need your assistance.

Thanks for your help.