META tags- be sure to put them in!

For general questions and discussions specific to the AbleCommerce 7.0 Asp.Net product.
jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

META tags- be sure to put them in!

Post by jmestep » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:22 am

Just for general info. I put links in Google base and site map for a new site where we hadn't put any META stuff in yet. When I noticed what Google was displaying in results, I rushed back and put META into the products in bulk by doing an update in SQL Server to take the first 200 chars of the description1, tried to strip out some of the embedded html and wrapped in <META, etc.
Here is a sample of what Google is picking up now:
First link is a product that they indexed before I did the META
Second link is a category page with no META yet
Third link is where I put the META in using the method above- we'll fine tune later.
meta.gif
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

Mark Harris
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Re: META tags- be sure to put them in!

Post by Mark Harris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:58 am

Wow, that's quite an impressive difference! So i guess that answers the question of "do search engines use meta tags". I assume this would also increase the relevance of your result in searches too.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Re: META tags- be sure to put them in!

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:28 pm

I want to cross-reference this other thread about MEAT tags, where I provide some code that might speed up the process of getting these tags in. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7489
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.