AC 7 username vs. email address

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
mmackrell
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

AC 7 username vs. email address

Post by mmackrell » Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 pm

My company is currently running AC 5.x and we are in the process of upgrading to the latest and greatest.

It is my understanding that all users now have to have an email address, as this will be their username. I completely understand this logic :)

However, some of the purchasing agents who purchase our products (we're B2B) may not have an email individually for themselves (it may be shared email such as purchasing@clevelandclinic.com) and within that department, there may be several people procurring from our company.

My question: is there a way that we can maintain the 5.x way of logging in for customers that need that functionality? Is this something that can be customized?

Thanks in advance,
Margie

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: AC 7 username vs. email address

Post by mazhar » Fri May 14, 2010 6:02 am

Actually AbleCommerce 7 can work with user names other then Email addresses. Right now there are certain validations where we collect user name input to collect valid Email address. I think if you give a try and remove Email validation check from signup and login page. Then create some user with some user name other then Email address and try loging it. Hopefully it will workout.

mmackrell

Post by mmackrell » Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 am

Thanks Mazhar, I will do this and let you know how it works out.

Margie

mmackrell

Post by mmackrell » Tue May 18, 2010 11:22 am

Mazhar,

I have removed the following code from the RegisterDialog.ascx:

Code: Select all

<cb:EmailAddressValidator ID="EmailAddressValidator1" runat="server" ControlToValidate="UserName" 
                        ValidationGroup="Register" Display="Dynamic" Required="true" 
                        ErrorMessage="Email address should be in the format of name@domain.tld." Text="*" EnableViewState="False"></cb:EmailAddressValidator>
And I see that there is validation code in the RegisterDialog.ascx.cs here:

User newUser = UserDataSource.CreateUser(userName, userName, Password.Text, string.Empty, string.Empty, true, 0, out status); 
Can you tell me where I would find the UserDataSource.CreateUser validation? I assume this is where I could go to removed the email check.

Thanks,
Margie

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Tue May 18, 2010 11:49 am

If this is not working for you then it seems like we are enforcing email validation in UserDataSource.CreateUser method as well. Its a back end class function and not available without source code. So alternative would be to create user your self using something like

User user = new User();
user.UserName = "namehere";
user.Email = "Email";
user.Save();
this will created user in database with name other then Email address. Finally at least your login page should not enforce Email address validation. Hopefully this will help you login with user name other then Email address.

mmackrell

Post by mmackrell » Tue May 18, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for the quick reply Mazhar. I am not a developer, so this is way beyond what I am capable of.

I assume there are third party providers that would do this customization for us and they would have access to the source code.

Margie

s_ismail
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by s_ismail » Wed May 19, 2010 3:51 am

Hello Margie,

We also provide services for able commerce customization, you can visit this site http://www.plugables.com/Services.aspx for details.

Thanks

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Wed May 19, 2010 5:39 am

We have done a few customizations to handle that kind of problem when a client has upgraded from an Able 5 store. For pricing, you can check with Allan Soave- phone # is 708-853-3100 x210.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

bradychris1
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by bradychris1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm

who is Allan Soave ? does he will guide us or help us ?
Posted By Brady Chris,
provillus | zquiet