Checkout process

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
mskurnik
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Checkout process

Post by mskurnik » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:56 am

I am trying to find a solution for a client’s e-commerce site that I am working on. We would like them to use Able Commerce but one key feature that they would like is missing from the product…The checkout steps (see image attached). Nothing like this seems to exist in Able Commerce but is available in AspDotNetStorefront (which is rather resource intensive and is not developer friendly). I am wondering if any of you that have worked with Able Commerce know of a plugin that can accomplish this or if you have created some code that does this. It seems like such a simple feature but I have been unable to locate anything like it online.

I've seen it implimented in a few AC stores but I cant seem to find the code.

Any help is welcome.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Checkout process

Post by mazhar » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 am

Turn on checkout with Login on your Checkout/Default page by choosing Checkout With Login as content scriptlet and you will see checkout progress is available on standard checkout pages. There is a conlib control called CheckoutProgress that renders these steps.

mskurnik
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by mskurnik » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:51 am

Is this an option in the admin section or do I need to modify a file?

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 am

simply login using your admin details and the browse to retail side. Then put something in basket and try checkout. On default page of checkout go to bottom and use edit option in there. This will open a panel and there in content dropdown choose Checkout WIth Login and save it.

sweeperq
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by sweeperq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am

has anyone done any testing to see whether the one page checkout or the standard checkout convert at higher rates?

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:49 am

Most of our clients use the one page checkout, so I'm not sure. I do know that the muti-page checkout does not allow checking out without "creating" an account and we had to add code to allow that for a client who definitely wanted to use that checkout flow. We also have a client who was going to go with multi-page, but I hadn't turned that on yet for the dev site and after seeing the one page checkout they decided to stay with that. Other than coding horrors, the only issue I've heard of with the one page is that when they make some changes, like in shipping method selection, the basket summary might be too high up for them to see it change or the continue button takes them back to the top of the page, but you can set a trigger in the update panel to handle that.
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

sweeperq
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by sweeperq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 am

Yeah, I had to make some customizations to the checkout page because if there are errors creating an account, you don't see why the order is not submitting; the page stays scrolled to the bottom and focused on the payment box. I put a hidden text field in above the create account section so I could force focus back up to the top of the account section so they could see what the error was. We also did away with the summary on the right and pushed all that info into the order contents. Also added the order total next to the payment box. The other customization was eliminating the discount lines and adding the discounts into the product lines.

kens
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Post by kens » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi-

Could you possibly explain how you put in the hidden text box and pushed the focus to it on error? I can see where that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Ken

jmestep
AbleCommerce Angel

Post by jmestep » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:21 am

This might be an easier solution- we have overcome some of the problems by putting a postback trigger into the panel on the one page checkout.

Code: Select all

<ajax:UpdatePanel ID="ShippingAddressAjax" runat="server">
		<Triggers>
        <asp:PostBackTrigger ControlID ="ContinueButton" />
    </Triggers>
Judy Estep
Web Developer
jestep@web2market.com
http://www.web2market.com
708-653-3100 x209
New search report plugin for business intelligence:
http://www.web2market.com/Search-Report ... -P154.aspx

sweeperq
Commodore (COMO)
Commodore (COMO)

Post by sweeperq » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 am

The first time I did it I just focused into the textbox with the error, but it only had a * next to it and didn't explain the problem.

So what I did was added a textbox next to the account header and styled it with "border:none; width:0; height:0;".

In the code-behind, look for the code that checks for an invalid account. If the account is invalid, you'll want to add myTextBox.Focus().

Haven't tried Judy's solution...it may work the way you want as well without the extra textbox.