Extending ac_products / Product object

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
pjs75
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Extending ac_products / Product object

Post by pjs75 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:23 am

Hi there,
I have read through the many posts about adding additional information to the Product table.

I know MyGeneration can be used to generate other ORM classes, though is it possible to add fields to the ac_products table and see these in the Product object?
Does the source code need to be purchased to do this?

In my case, if I cannot use the Mygen object, I will just use my own ORM (Telerik OpenAccess) that I have purchased.

I understand this is generally advised against, though my site is not a standard type of shopping cart website, and it will never be upgraded with newer version of AC.

Thanks,

Pat.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Extending ac_products / Product object

Post by mazhar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 am

You can't expose new fields on existing Product object. You can generate your custom Product class and can use for your custom operations but that will be working parallel to existing Product object it will not be replacing it. There is one thing that you can do with existing product object without making any change to database/object at all. You can utilize product custom fields support to hold custom information with your product object. Read this thread about product custom fields viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12056

pjs75
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by pjs75 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks Mazhar,
Can you say why the Product table cannot be extended, not even with the source code?

Anyway, in my case I'll just use my own ORM class as needed.

Regards,

Pat.

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:10 am

Well you can if you have ablecommerce backend source code. I was trying to say that you can't extend default product object without change in ablecommerce source code.