90% complete with first site.

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
RKS_213
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

90% complete with first site.

Post by RKS_213 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:57 pm

After a long hard fought battle learning AC, C#, VB, and Component Art in just two weeks, the site is roughly 90% completed. There are just a few remaining tasks that I can't seem to figure out.

1) When using a asp:menu flyout, has anyone experienced the menu flyout to the other side of the screen? I have one flyout (out of three) that does this in FF. Every other browser is fine. Since I pretty much copied and altered each menu aspx from a master it seems odd and so if you have seen this before, it may save some time trying to figure out this one menu.

2) How do you limit the displayed values in an asp:menu flyout? I.e. make it show only 10 items and then have it scroll? Is there also a way to show the scroll bar instead of having a bottom image that scrolls when you hover? I'd rather be able to have the scroll bar on the side.

3) How can you remove any reference to manufacturer? I'm sure I'm going to have to edit all my ConLibs to comment stuff out but I've search for manufacturer in the ones I'm using and I'm thinking the field must be called something different. All items are made by the same manufacturer and that will never change. What's more, the original people imputting the data for these thousand+ products included some with manufacturer and others without, so category pages don't line up correctly since the manufacturer is true on only some products. I could go back and edit out the manufacturers on each product since I have to go back to each one anyway and fill custom fields, but if it's one less thing I'd like to take care of it in the ConLib.

4) Are there any simple URLs or places to edit the URL of pages? Someone said it was when you created the page but I have no option to specify any URLs. My defaults come out like /Industries-C164.aspx. Can I change them after I have already created the pages?

5) Is there a page for ALL products? No matter the category? I need to link to that page.

6) Are there any resources for dynamic content blocks from a ConLib or anything? I have a section on the front page that has news, events, etc and I'd like to link that to recent articles or events they post. If anyone has integrated with a CMS before I would like to hear how that went. I was going to look into BlogEngine.Net and see if that was easy to integrate.

That's all I can think of right now but I think it will be up and running this week if I can get through all of their products and add in the custom fields. +1 to the power of a million for planning before you start working on the store. The people before me just started creating products without ever going through the planning stage to figure out what they would need and if they needed custom fields etc. I already had to spend hours updating all the categories since they didn't ever do that before creating products. Just one category "Products"...and let's think about it later. Dumb.

RKS_213
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Re: 90% complete with first site.

Post by RKS_213 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Oh yeah, one last item to add to the list. Adding unique IDs to category header sections on category grid pages. I know it's all controlled by the Category Scriptlet, which would be great but it calls a ConLib within that scriptlet where everything is connected. If it would separate the item grid into one ConLib, and the rest into another, it would be a lot easier to style and fix.

For example, I'm using the Category with Category Data scriptlet that references the CategoryGridPage4. It has a div around the Conlib like <div>[[ConLib:CategoryGridPage4]]</div> but it would be much better if the scriptlet was like <div>[[ConLib:CategoryData]]</div><div>[[ConLib:CategoryProductGrid]]</div> or something similar.

What I have to do is add a background image for all the category header sections. This image will be the same size across the board to maintain site consistency, but it is going to be a different image. Without an ID, I can't set the background separately based on what category we're looking at. I can only set one image to display on all categories. What's more, each data section is variable and the CategoryGridPage4 (I'm assuming) adjusts the height of that section based on the data inside. So on some, the background will be 400px and on others the background will be 300px.

Alternatively, if this cannot be done within the limitations of AC, I can add the div in the description section of each category. I would like to include the Category title in this section so this approach doesn't work, but if it's what I got then it's what I got. I could use CSS tricks to hide the native title on the page and display my own within the category description but CSS hacks are only workarounds and not solutions.

Thanks.