Scriptlet placement in pages

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Scriptlet placement in pages

Post by Will » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:24 am

I've set up pages in the catalog and then set up scriptlets to be pulled in for their content. Having difficulty with caching (I think).

Here's the process I've been using:

1. I create a scriptlet under "Manage Content and Layout (Scriptlets)"
2. I add a "Webpage" to my catalog
3. I name the page and in the "Page Content" field I enter a reference to my content scriptlet (eg: [[content:community_stores]]).

The first time I do it, it works. However, if I try and change the scriptlet reference to a different one in the "Page Content" field, I still get old scriptlet content pulled in.

If I change the scriptlet reference using the tools at the bottom of the specific page I'm trying to change, then it does find the correct new scriptlet.

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:43 am

Update on this. I've created two "Webpages" in a category called pages.

When I change the content scriptlet for one, using the browser tools at the bottom of the page, it changes the contents for both pages. Don't really know what's going on here.

When I go into the admin interface, there are no references to scriptlets at all.

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:34 pm

Having a similar problem when I create the file on the file system.

1. duplicated "aboutus.aspx"
2. changed the properties in <cb>
3. everything worked, except it couldn't find the corresponding scriptlet file for the "Content=" property
4. logged into the site and used the "edit page" widgets at the bottom to assign the correct Scriptlet.
5. works now

Not sure if this is me or a bug.

AbleMods
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by AbleMods » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:33 am

I've been having the same thing happen to me.

I would copy an existing page to a new file name and modify the parameters of the scriptlet to set it to my custom sidebar.

Pulling the page up in the store would still show the original section selections. I would have to edit page and choose the customized sidebar and hit Apply.

Not a terrible problem, but a hassle if you're setting up several pages in a row.
Joe Payne
AbleCommerce Custom Programming and Modules http://www.AbleMods.com/
AbleCommerce Hosting http://www.AbleModsHosting.com/
Precise Fishing and Hunting Time Tables http://www.Solunar.com

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Hello All,

Have you guys installed this patch?

ISSUE:

Manage Content and Layout (Scriptlets): New and copied scriptlets don't appear in list

SYMPTOM:

From Website > Content and Layout page, when you ADD or COPY a scriptlet, it will not appear in the display list. It will exist in the applicable folder as a new file, but Ablecommerce will not find it.

Or, if you Edit a Scriptlet outside of AbleCommerce, your changes will not be recognized.

TO FIX:
A temporary work-around is to restart the web server to refresh the cache.

To permanently fix this issue, you will need to download a new CommerceBuilder.DLL from here -

ftp://ftp.ablecommerce.com/patches/Able ... atch_1.zip

Update your existing Commercebuilder.dll file in the /bin/ folder.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:44 pm

I'm sorry -- I didn't do a good job describing this. I've applied the patch. I can add scriptlets on the file system, have .aspx files reference them, and update their contents.

I'm having problems with "Webpages" created within AC7.

I've created two "Webpages" in a category.

Category Page:
http://dev.gimmecoffee.com.mytempweb.co ... y-C36.aspx

First Webpage in Category:
http://dev.gimmecoffee.com.mytempweb.co ... W3C36.aspx

Second Webpage in Category:
http://dev.gimmecoffee.com.mytempweb.co ... W4C36.aspx

Each of these webpages was set up to reference a different scriptlet. To do this, I entered different [[content]] scriptlets into their page content fields.

Problem is, both pages show the same content even if I reference different scriptlets in the page content field. I went into the editing tools at the bottom of the page, and changed the scriptlet reference, but it changes it for both pages. Seems like it is acting on the "Webpage.aspx" file.

So maybe the question is -- are we able to use scriptlets in the product description and webpage "page contents" fields?

Does this make sense?

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:54 pm

OK. I think I get it now. If we change the content scriptlet, it is changing it for the Webpage.aspx file entirely.

This means when we want to use the Webpage.aspx template and functionality, we have to enter the contents for the page into description of the web-based admin tool. There's no way to pull in content from an external .htm file.

I assume the same goes for the product description fields (question I asked earlier).

Am I correct about this?

Thanks.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Hello Will,

I seriously doubt it would be a difficult customization to pull the product description or webpage data from a file. This was in our feature list, but no one had ever asked for it so it didn't go in. Go figure, now someone wants it.

We're pretty busy right now, but early next week I'll get a customization posted for this. Should it be by product SKU.htm or ID.htm?
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:20 pm

Since we will want to use it for web pages (which won't have SKUs) as well as products, then it should probably be by ID.

This is not a big deal at this point -- we can copy and paste into the product descriptions.

I've already set up our content pages outside of the catalog -- copyWebpage.aspx each time we need a new page and assign a scriptlet to that. At that point our content folks just edit the scriptlet.

It would be nice to be able to have all of our pages within the catalog system, though -- especially for categories. Gives us more data we can customize the display with (ie: a contextual navigation bar).

I would put this way below recurring orders. :)

bobr2k
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Mike, anything new on this?

Post by bobr2k » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:11 am

[quote="Shopping Cart Admin"]

I seriously doubt it would be a difficult customization to pull the product description or webpage data from a file.

We're pretty busy right now, but early next week I'll get a customization posted for this.
Bob R.
"Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks." -- Steven Wright