nVelocity performance penalties?

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

nVelocity performance penalties?

Post by Will » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Are there performance penalties we need to be aware of when deciding when to use nVelocity? For instance, it is much easier for me as a non-ASP.net programmer to create my own out of stock logic and layout using nVelocity than it is hacking the control that currently displays it. Will using too much nVelocity bog things down? Right now our pages feel like they are loading pretty slowly.

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:36 pm

Hello Will,

Slow? I've not seen that at all even when testing with large datasets. If you're doing a lot of changes to the site, remember many require a total re-compile of the application. This is the only time I see delays.

If you are finding any pages which appear slow (frequently) please feel free to comment and we'll re-check them for load.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook

Will
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Post by Will » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:43 pm

I haven't spent any time looking into it. Don't know if it's our host, our html, or our customizations. Right now it just doesn't feel 'snappy'. Going to get our initial integration finished, then see how we're doing. When you say "total re-compile" does that mean it checks to see if scriptlets and controls have changed and re-compiles as needed? Otherwise, is there caching going on?

Shopping Cart Admin
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Post by Shopping Cart Admin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 pm

Hello Will,

It's the /con_lib files which cause a re-compile that will delay the initial page load by 40 seconds or more. There might be others, but I don't think the scriptlets would cause it.
Thanks for your support

Shopping Cart Guru
AbleCommerce.com
Follow us on Facebook