HTML Email Templates

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
jrobgood
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

HTML Email Templates

Post by jrobgood » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 pm

We've been noticing some problems with the default HTML templates in Gmail and some Hotmail/Live Mail.

Of note, the styles in the head of the template are not properly parsed by most HTML email agents. We're going to go ahead and clean these up and get them more compliant, and I'll post them here when we're done. I'd love it if you'd post your QA experiences with the stock templates and/or anything you've learned on that topic as well.

Thanks,
-Rob.

Jinx
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Re: HTML Email Templates

Post by Jinx » Fri May 23, 2008 9:49 am

If you want to see a great site that will tell you what is exactly supported by most email clients visit this site...
http://www.email-standards.org/

jrobgood
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by jrobgood » Fri May 23, 2008 10:03 am

Jinx wrote:If you want to see a great site that will tell you what is exactly supported by most email clients visit this site...
http://www.email-standards.org/
Right... we've scrubbed the templates to make them as compliant as possible -- based on best practices. Was mostly asking for anecdotal discussion about AC's injection of data into the templates.

Jinx
Lieutenant (LT)
Lieutenant (LT)

Post by Jinx » Fri May 23, 2008 10:17 am

Yes. I understand. I am researching right now the exact methodology of how able sends their emails and issues surrounding multipart, utf8 and etc.

I just wanted to throw out a great reference that will help people troubleshoot their emails and help them to understand how they will need to change their emails from how able supplies its templates.

Another note for people, If you want to do CSS (For now, until every email client is up to standards) you should run your css inline in a style="" manner instead of classes or ids. That is the only fool proof way I have been able to get styling to work correctly across most main email clients.