Each product needs a different content section in layout?

Store UI, layout, design, look and feel; Discussion on the customer facing pages of your online store. Cascading Style Sheets, Themes, Scriptlets, NVelocity and the components in the ConLib directory.
Haak
Lieutenant, Jr. Grade (LT JG)

Each product needs a different content section in layout?

Post by Haak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:07 pm

I have up to this point been working with one product. I am now adding several others and I am running into a bit of a snag. For my first product I created a custom content section and all works well. The custom content page has hard coded product specific information because i was unable to add asp.net code to the product description section in the admin side.

Now that I am adding a second product the layouts content section defaults to the custom page I created. I changed this in the edit section on the specific product page to use one of able commerce default pages "Show Product 1". This worked to changed the layout the way I wanted it for this new product but it also changed it for my fist product that had custom content? I tried several times to change each product to use its own content section but when I changed one the other would change as well?

Is there a way for this not to happen? This will be very frustrating if I am locked into one layout for all products. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Hawk

Haak

Re: Each product needs a different content section in layout?

Post by Haak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:36 pm

OK. I have found a way to fix this. I needed to have the display page for my first product be different than the second one. So for each custom page I do I will need a new display page. There is Basic page "Product.aspx", Basic Page 2 "Product2.aspx". Product with option grid "Product3.aspx" and Store Default which is Product.aspx.

So since this has been answered I was wondering how to create new display page that registers as such with Able Commerce? With only three options available I may have more than that when it comes to custom content pages for other products.

Thanks,
Hawk

sohaib
Developer
Developer

Post by sohaib » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:44 am

The easiest way to create a new display page that is automatically listed in AC drop downs is to create a copy of one of the existing pages and rename/change it accordingly.

There is a comment section at the top of each display page that helps AC recognize a display page. It is something like this

Code: Select all

<%-- 
<DisplayPage>
    <Name>Basic Product</Name>
    <NodeType>Product</NodeType>
    <Description>A product display page that shows the basic product details.</Description>
</DisplayPage>
--%>
NodeType can be Product, Category or Webpage. You can set whatever you like for Name and Description tags.

Haak

Post by Haak » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Sohaib, Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Hawk