Flat Rate Shipping Fallback

Post feature requests to this forum and a pre-configured poll will automatically be created for you.
batmike
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Flat Rate Shipping Fallback

Post by batmike » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm

FedEx's system has been having a lot of outages lately and since that's our only shipping option, when they go down, we can't complete orders because the shipping options can't be selected.

What would be great is to have an option that when the FedEx system times out or otherwise fails, a flat rate option that I have preconfigured in the Admin interface would show up so our customers could complete their sale and move on. I wouldn't want this to show up if FedEx (or any other gateway) were working normal but as a backup if the gateway wasn't working.

Any suggestions for implementing this myself or else a great add for a future update.

plugables
Captain (CAPT)
Captain (CAPT)

Re: Flat Rate Shipping Fallback

Post by plugables » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 am

It will be somewhat tricky to implement with custom coding. If you custom code the logic of adding a flat-rate shipping charge to your order in the front-end the AbleCommerce shipping calculator may clear it when it recalculates the shipping charges on basket recalculation.

sdlong02
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Re: Flat Rate Shipping Fallback

Post by sdlong02 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:12 pm

batmike wrote:FedEx's system has been having a lot of outages lately and since that's our only shipping option, when they go down, we can't complete orders because the shipping options can't be selected.

What would be great is to have an option that when the FedEx system times out or otherwise fails, a flat rate option that I have preconfigured in the Admin interface would show up so our customers could complete their sale and move on. I wouldn't want this to show up if FedEx (or any other gateway) were working normal but as a backup if the gateway wasn't working.

Any suggestions for implementing this myself or else a great add for a future update.
Interestingly enough this happens to some of my customers for both UPS and USPS, this is intermittent, but half of my international shipping methods never work either.