Semantic HTML

Post feature requests to this forum and a pre-configured poll will automatically be created for you.
sloDavid
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Semantic HTML

Post by sloDavid » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:53 pm

It will be WAY easier to style AbleCommerce, if you nix all inline style attributes, and create class attributes for EVERYTHING, especially anything that represents any kind of semantic information. Even separating the currency symbol from the actual price amount. E.g.,

Code: Select all

<span class="currencySymbol">$</span><span class="price">9.95</span>
Never just put it together, in this case, "$9.95".

Designers seem to want to change everything, and as a developer, I'm having to do all this manually. It's really annoying. If you MUST style something inline, then it should DEFINITELY be replaced with a class. And PLEASE nix the non-data tables.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Re: Semantic HTML

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 pm

I promise in our next major revision we will axe all of that inline styling.

I will have to investigate the non-data tables. I may not be able to promise they will be gone entirely, but I am certain we need to make it easier to go to a table-less design. IE working more toward supporting CSS standards is going to make this a lot easier.
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.

Logan Rhodehamel
Developer
Developer

Re: Semantic HTML

Post by Logan Rhodehamel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:26 pm

I had a thought on the currency symbol. That output is generated from the currency settings. You could set your symbol to <span class="symbol">$</span> and it appears it would work. However, it might mix you up when it comes to text only emails (if you are sending those).
Cheers,
Logan
Image.com

If I do not respond to an unsolicited private message, it's not because I'm ignoring you. It's because the answer to your question is valuable to others. Try the new topic button.