Handling Fee Separate from Shipping Fee

Post feature requests to this forum and a pre-configured poll will automatically be created for you.
ChipWV
Lieutenant Commander (LCDR)

Handling Fee Separate from Shipping Fee

Post by ChipWV » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:10 pm

I would like to have a handling fee separate from the real time shipping calculation. I need to use the % adjustment in the current shipping and handling calculation to fine tune shipping charged to somewhat match shipping cost. But I'd like to charge a handling fee per order of $1.95 for say orders under $20. By forcing a percentage for handling I end up overcharging larger orders, and under charging smaller orders.

Thanks
Chip

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Handling Fee Separate from Shipping Fee

Post by Katie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Chip,

We already have a handling fee option that can be shown separate of the shipping charge. However, you would have to customize the software to make it appear for orders under $20.

Here is a link to the AC 7 Merchant Guide for this feature -

http://help.ablecommerce.com/mergedProj ... ethods.htm

Thanks,
Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

ChipWV

Post by ChipWV » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 am

Katie,

Can you tell everyone how that is labeled/displayed to the customer? Does it say "Handling"? No it just reiterates the shipping method and the customer is going to call and ask why they got charged twice for shipping.

Plus, that method still doesn't allow you to fine tune the shipping cost charged to the customer AND have a handling fee, which was my main point. Since no one asked why? the most important question, here's why...

If I use real time rates with my negotiated UPS discount then essentially I'm breaking even of shipping, Right? Wrong. First there are merchant fees charged on shipping so that's 2-4% loos right off the top for any merchant. Then you have to factor in accessorial fees like address correction, redirection, refused package fees, size corrections (valid or not), etc. you get the drift. Then do you want to add in packaging material costs into handling? that adds more too.

again, all I want to be able to do is fine tune what I charge my customer for shipping, so that it somewhat reflects my actual costs. My cost for shipping one $0.39 widget are going to be a much larger percentage than a customer that buys $250 worth of stuff.

I guess I could implement a minimum order of $10 or so and that would help some.

compunerdy
Admiral (ADM)
Admiral (ADM)

Post by compunerdy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I would prefer if there was a option to add weight to the calculated real time rates so that we can account for packaging weight.