Google Checkout International Shipping Problems

Post feature requests to this forum and a pre-configured poll will automatically be created for you.

How important is this enhancement to you?

It's a critical enhancement that I must have.
No votes
It's an important enhancement but others are more critical.
No votes
I'd like to have it but it's not that important.
100%
I'd never use this feature.
No votes

Total votes: 1

doozerblake
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Google Checkout International Shipping Problems

Post by doozerblake » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 pm

We are having a problem with the Google Checkout Gateway integration and AbleCommerce. We're looking for any suggestions or assistance.

For a typical order, shipping to the US, all works fine. People can add items to their cart, go to Google Checkout and transact the order, it works just fine.

But, if a user signs up for a Google Checkout account from a non-US country, or their Google Checkout account is already setup for a non-US country and they set their shipping address to a non-US address, Google comes back and says: Note: MERCHANTNAME does not ship to Czech Republic via Google Checkout

I found the following item under their help: http://checkout.google.com/support/sell ... ipto_77797
Issue:
When checking out, your buyer receives a 'does not ship to' error message.

Explanation:
This message will appear if your buyer tries to ship to an area you haven't specified in your XML. If you don't set shipping specifications, Google Checkout will default your shipping restrictions to the country associated with your account. For example, if your account is associated with the United States, your default shipping restriction will be all 50 states.

Resolution:
Modify your shopping cart to specify additional areas where you ship:
They have a link to learn more about the internation shipping, http://googlecheckoutapi.blogspot.com/2 ... pping.html

As far as our setup goes, we have:
AbleCommer 7.0, we just upgraded from RC2 to see if it resolved the issue.
under Configure, Shipping, Zones, we have an International Zone with All countries and All zones setup.
Under Configure, Shipping, Methods, we have a USPS international Flat Rate shipping option for the international zone setup.

Is there a way to test and see what xml is being sent over to Google Checkout when the button is pressed to determine if the XML is passing over the list of countires? Or, is there an obvious configuration issue that we are missing?

Thanks for any help.

Katie
AbleCommerce Admin
AbleCommerce Admin

Re: Google Checkout International Shipping Problems

Post by Katie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi there,

Can you perform a checkout using AbleCommerce, with an address in Czech Republic, and tell me if the "USPS international Flat Rate shipping option" shows up?

In this last release, the USPS integration was updated to meet their new specifications and I want to make sure this isn't part of the problem.

Thanks,
Katie
Thank you for choosing AbleCommerce!

http://help.ablecommerce.com - product support
http://wiki.ablecommerce.com - developer support

doozerblake
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by doozerblake » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Katie wrote: Can you perform a checkout using AbleCommerce, with an address in Czech Republic, and tell me if the "USPS international Flat Rate shipping option" shows up?

In this last release, the USPS integration was updated to meet their new specifications and I want to make sure this isn't part of the problem.
I probably should have explained that the shipping option was a custom setup shipping option, it's not an integrated solution, we just named it USPS Priority International Flat Rate Shipping and set it to $35.00 as the amount.

However, i can go through checkout and set the address to Czech Republic, and the 'USPS Priority International Flat Rate Shipping' is the only one that shows up.

doozerblake
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by doozerblake » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:44 pm

doozerblake wrote:
Katie wrote: i can go through checkout
When I say go through checkout, i meant through the regular ablecommerce checkout, not through the google checkout. If you are logged into google checkout it defaults shipping to your account country and you can't add addresses from different countries. Just wanted to clarify

doozerblake
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by doozerblake » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09 am

I did some further digging, still looking for some answers hopefully:

In the xml request sent over to Google Checkout, it appears that no shipping restrictions are being written out. the section for shipping methods looks like so:

Code: Select all

<shipping-methods>
        <merchant-calculated-shipping name="Ground">
          <price currency="USD">10</price>
        </merchant-calculated-shipping>
        <merchant-calculated-shipping name="2-Day">
        <merchant-calculated-shipping name="1-Day">
        <merchant-calculated-shipping name="USPS Priority International ">
          <price currency="USD">35.0000</price>
      </shipping-methods>
According to the help article, you have to specify the shipping zones, or else it defaults to the settings on your account (US in this case).

in the case of international shipping and looking at their tag reference, the xml needs something additional like

<merchant-calculated-shipping name="USPS Priority International ">
   <price currency="USD">35.0000</price>
   <shipping-restrictions>
      <allowed-areas>
         <world-area/>
      </allowed-areas>
   </shipping-restrictions>
CommerceBuilder.Payments.Providers.GoogleCheckout.Checkout.CheckoutShoppingCartRequest contains a method AddMerchantCalculatedShippingMethod that has a parameter for adding a ShippingRestriction object, but it's not even called from GoogleCheckoutButton.ascx.cs. I don't think this would even help as it's going to likely just follow the shipping restrictions setup in the configuration, and not add a <world-area/> tag, but I could be wrong.

Can anyone from AbleCommerce confirm that the above is correct? I'd like to know if there is a possible fix or if I'm going to have to manually edit the xml before it's sent over to Google to add shipping restrictions.

sohaib
Developer
Developer

Post by sohaib » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:21 am

You are right no shipping restrictions are passed to GoogleCheckout. At the time GoogleCheckout was implemented for AC7 the most current Google Checkout API (v2) at that time did not have this <world-area/> option. This is something that was added later.

From v2 API Schema

<xs:complexType name="ShippingRestrictions">
    <xs:all>
      <xs:element name="allowed-areas">
        <xs:complexType>
          <xs:sequence>
            <xs:choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
              <xs:element name="us-state-area" type="tns:USStateArea" />
              <xs:element name="us-zip-area" type="tns:USZipArea" />
              <xs:element name="us-country-area" type="tns:USCountryArea" />
            </xs:choice>
          </xs:sequence>
        </xs:complexType>
      </xs:element>
      <xs:element name="excluded-areas" minOccurs="0">
        <xs:complexType>
          <xs:sequence>
            <xs:choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
              <xs:element name="us-state-area" type="tns:USStateArea" />
              <xs:element name="us-zip-area" type="tns:USZipArea" />
              <xs:element name="us-country-area" type="tns:USCountryArea" />
            </xs:choice>
          </xs:sequence>
      </xs:element>
    </xs:all>

doozerblake
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by doozerblake » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:40 am

So, are there plans to update it to include world-areas?

It doesn't even appear implement the Shipping Restrictions below correctly in the GoogleCheckoutButton.ascx.cs, or is it and I'm missing it?

sohaib
Developer
Developer

Post by sohaib » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:08 pm

For V2 API it was not necessary to include shipping restrictions details because shipping restrictions in V2 API only included US.

We will be updating GoogleCheckout implementation soon but I can't give any date.

doozerblake
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by doozerblake » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:39 pm

I guess I'll just try to do my own workaround and post it here for reference.

doozerblake
Ensign (ENS)
Ensign (ENS)

Post by doozerblake » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:51 pm

oh come on, you've got to be kidding me. You dont' have to go and edit my message above.

I was just pointing out the fact that the Google Checkout API has had the <world-area> as part of the schema since March of 2007 and I didn't understand why it hadn't been implemented. If there's a valid reason for it, I'd love to hear it.