Add Some Open Fields To The User Profile

Post feature requests to this forum and a pre-configured poll will automatically be created for you.

How important is this enhancement to you?

It's a critical enhancement that I must have.
67%
It's an important enhancement but others are more critical.
No votes
I'd like to have it but it's not that important.
33%
I'd never use this feature.
No votes

Total votes: 3

keats76
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Add Some Open Fields To The User Profile

Post by keats76 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:07 am

It would be very helpful if you were to add a number of "open" fields to the user profile. This would allow developers the ability to customize the profiles for our unique situations without having to generate new database elements and other profile tie ins that take time and would possibly be broken with future updates.

I suggest a new UserCustomization table or the like with 5 open fields for each type (i.e. varchar(255), decimal, etc). Able would always leave these fields open for customization and would never make use of them in the core system.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Re: Add Some Open Fields To The User Profile

Post by mazhar » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 am

I think user settings are doing the very similar job. And with user settings there is no limitation of having just 5 or 6 fields.

keats76
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by keats76 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:41 pm

I wasn't aware of of the UserSettings option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the only datatype available is String. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Mike

mazhar
Master Yoda
Master Yoda

Post by mazhar » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:18 am

Yes that's a string only but if you want to save for example an integer you can save its value as string then convert it back to integer when loading the data. There is another table as well which could be used for this type data and that is the ac_CustomFields
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8684

keats76
Commander (CMDR)
Commander (CMDR)

Post by keats76 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:02 am

My problem was the integration of nVelocity and the data from the UserSettings. I tried everything I could think of, but I couldn't convert a string to a number (of any type) via the nVelocity engine. I ended up using a large switch statement to test for string values of the numbers I needed. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

I guess it would be nice to have usersettings for other types as well, but I could see how this would be a low priority suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback.